Invalid Filename

DSHorus

Good afternoon,

Im using xbox gamepass and after instaling twice the game this error comes up, when i try to  run game https://ibb.co/TMHzvSn.

the game is running in administrator, i made the exceptions in windows defender.

If i try to launch the game from the folder it runs but i cant play with friends.

i see that many people having the same issue but i cant find the solution.

Best regards

2 hours ago, DSHorus said:

Good afternoon,

Im using xbox gamepass and after instaling twice the game this error comes up, when i try to  run game https://ibb.co/TMHzvSn.

the game is running in administrator, i made the exceptions in windows defender.

If i try to launch the game from the folder it runs but i cant play with friends.

i see that many people having the same issue but i cant find the solution.

Best regards

Heya, so that's a bit odd and I asked around the team chat. We didn't really see any clear-cut reason why this is happening, but let's assume that somehow some network goblins are messing with some data on your installs from the store...

• To be sure that the pesky goblins don't interfere, add exceptions for the xbox/gamestore apps (if you use Windows Defender it should be added already, but if you do happen to have another antivirus, don't forget those), and restart your network
  • Go into the Xbox app and in your library, there's a 3-dot button there, go into Manage and hit check for updates:image.thumb.png.60d8a1cfaf198324ecdc7639ae78506c.png
  • Then, click Verify and Repair, do this twice just to be sure

If this doesn't work, browse to the install folder, delete the executables inside there and then verify and repair.

If this still isn't working, try launching it without EAC, does it make a difference?

Also, I'm not sure what this is yet, but I saw a Gamelaunchhelper executable inside the directory, it did some things and brought the launcher up, maybe this will help?

image.png.3aa2bd3d9f6aa41689971d134e448031.png

If all else fails, there are other thoughts and I can certainly call for backup. Quite strange, it should work right out of the box.

Hi there,

Thank you for the answer, but i dont have a single network goblin , perhaps an army of them!

The game is up to date 17-10-2023.

The exeptions are made in windows defender.

The Gamelaunchhelper executable brings up the same launcher and as well the same error.

Deleted the executables like you mentioned repaired and same error.

Without The Eac i can run the game but doesnt allow me to play with friends. ( Portforward mapping already made in router )

I need an exterminator for these goblins of my own, hehe

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...

I had to do this as well and it does fix it. Though I was on the slower side and took a few minutes to realize how to do it. Thank you for figuring this out.

Use Windows + R

type or copy in    %appdata%/7daystodie

Create new folder named logs

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem when installing the game for the first time today on XBox PC Store. Manually adding a "logs" folder to %appdata%7DaysToDie fixed it for me as well. When you first launch the game and it pops up the launcher window there is no 7DaysToDie folder under AppData. Manually running the 7daystodie.exe file creates the folder under AppData but for some reason it does not create a logs folder. Perhaps the devs should move the folder creation process to the launcher and not the main executable? Anyway, run the game once without the launcher, add a "logs" folder to %AppData%7DaysToDie and it all works as intended.

6 hours ago, Akanaro said:

I had the same problem when installing the game for the first time today on XBox PC Store. Manually adding a "logs" folder to %appdata%7DaysToDie fixed it for me as well. When you first launch the game and it pops up the launcher window there is no 7DaysToDie folder under AppData. Manually running the 7daystodie.exe file creates the folder under AppData but for some reason it does not create a logs folder. Perhaps the devs should move the folder creation process to the launcher and not the main executable? Anyway, run the game once without the launcher, add a "logs" folder to %AppData%7DaysToDie and it all works as intended.

There's a fix coming