Don't bother with retracting stock.

Krougal

I was comparing mods to see what they really do. In the past I have used both of these on my AR. Should the T2 mod not be better than the T1? The stock is such a POS it isn't worth using. If the effects were identical to the foregrip it would possibly be worth using still or even just double the hip fire effect I guess or swap the tiers, but as is this is stupid. Probably another oversight.

<item_modifier name="modGunForegrip" installable_tags="bottomAttachments,turretRanged" modifier_tags="grips" blocked_tags="noMods" type="attachment">
    <property name="Extends" value="modGeneralMaster" param1="CustomIcon" />
    <property name="UnlockedBy" value="modGunForegripSchematic" />
    <property name="TraderStageTemplate" value="modsTier1" />
    <effect_group tiered="false">
      <passive_effect name="SpreadMultiplierCrouching" operation="perc_add" value="-.15" />
      <passive_effect name="SpreadMultiplierHip" operation="perc_add" value="-.15" />
      <passive_effect name="SpreadMultiplierWalking" operation="perc_add" value="-.15" />
      <passive_effect name="WeaponHandling" operation="perc_add" value=".13" />
      <passive_effect name="WeaponHandling" operation="perc_add" value="-.08">
        <requirement name="HasBuff" buff="buffHoldBreathAiming01" />
      </passive_effect>
      <passive_effect name="KickDegreesVerticalMin" operation="perc_add" value="-.5" />
      <passive_effect name="KickDegreesVerticalMax" operation="perc_add" value="-.5" />
      <passive_effect name="KickDegreesHorizontalMin" operation="perc_add" value="-.5" />
      <passive_effect name="KickDegreesHorizontalMax" operation="perc_add" value="-.5" />
    </effect_group>
  </item_modifier>
  <item_modifier name="modGunRetractingStock" installable_tags="stock" modifier_tags="stocks" blocked_tags="noMods" type="attachment">
    <property name="Extends" value="modGeneralMaster" param1="CustomIcon" />
    <property name="UnlockedBy" value="modGunRetractingStockSchematic" />
    <property name="TraderStageTemplate" value="modsTier2" />
      <passive_effect name="SpreadMultiplierHip" operation="perc_add" value="-.15" />
    </effect_group>
  </item_modifier>
  <!--Reduces vertical kick when firing by x%, increases move speed by a small amount when holding the weapon is attached to
	<item_modifier name="modGunFoldingStock" installable_tags="stock" modifier_tags="stocks" blocked_tags="noMods" type="attachment">
		<property name="Extends" value="modGeneralMaster"/>
		<property name="UnlockedBy" value="modGunFoldingStockSchematic"/>
		<property name="CustomIcon" value="partsAK47_stock"/>

</effect_group>
	</item_modifier>-->

This should probably be moved to bug reports or pimp dreams (depending if y'all see it as a bug or a suggestion...I consider it a bug that I suggest fixing 😛)

Edited by Krougal (see edit history)

Wouldn't make sense to give it all the same bonuses as a tactical foregrip, because they are vastly different accessories. But yeah, looking at the xml, the vanilla retracting stock mod is very underwhelming.

Problem is, I don't know that gunplay in 7DTD is complex enough to really simulate the actual advantages of a retractable stock in the first place. I mean, possibly the biggest advantage of a folding/retracting stock is that it makes a weapon more compact and easier to maneuver in tight spaces. But there's no mechanic in 7DTD that simulates muzzle control, or accidentally banging your gun into nearby walls and furniture, or anything similar. Another noteworthy real-world advantage of retractable stocks is they allow you to stow your guns more easily. Can't represent that in 7DTD, either. So that's two major advantages that we just have to ignore.

In regards to accuracy and recoil, a retracting stock isn't going to add any sort of advantage that a regular stock doesn't already have. The only way a folding or retracting stock should give any such bonus is if it's attached to a firearm that doesn't normally come with a stock at all (handguns, some SMGs). But then you'd have to add a hipfire penalty when attached to pistols, because any sort of stock is going to make a pistol less agile. Of course, vanilla 7DTD doesn't allow attaching stocks to pistols anyway, so I guess that's a moot point. 🤷‍♂️

Buffing the hipfire bonus (enough to make the retracting stock actually worth using!) is probably the only sensible solution.

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion with the kick, the grip sure, but the stock would do @%$# all.

I went with doubling the hip fire bonus, but I haven't used it extensively to know how much of a difference it makes. I'll put it on my AK until I get something better, but then I quickly got something better. The SMG is really the only weapon I permanently use it with, and I don't currently have one.

I am not sure what the "weapon handling" bonus does, that might be viable too.

Should probably swap their tiers too (because otherwise they will nerf the foregrip and noone wants that)

Edited by Krougal (see edit history)