multiple inputs on powered items

MCRoadkill

Hi dev team fun pimps,

While playing with the powered items i've noticed something that makes it difficult to open powered doors.

A powered door only has one input. If I want to have a switch on both sides of the door to be able to open it up from both sides, this isn't possible. I can only power it from one side. (see screenshot). If the door accepts more two inputs maybe it would be possible.

Then I thought, maybe it I use the distributers, but that has the same problem, it only allows one input.

The same is the case when I want to have a redundant power supply to my powerbank, when I want to feed my powerbank with a generator and the solarpanels. Solarpanels daytime, generator for backup during the night. The distributers only allow one input.

Please add this option to be able to make more elaborate electrical circuits.

Thanks

20230723175112_1.jpg

Would be nice for many applications, I'd welcome it..

For now, the best option is to use chained triggers: cameras, trip wires and such. Set one on either side of the door, and chain:

Power > trigger > trigger > door.

No relays in between and your door opens from either side.

Exactly as theFlu said, you can have doors powered from both sides as well as other things that use multiple sensors (cameras, or other triggers).  The way the electricity works is that if two sensors are separated from each other by anything else, like a relay, they will work as an AND gate (if you know about logic gates).  This means that both sensors need to be activated at the same time in order for anything following them to work.  If you put two or more sensors in a row without anything else between them, then they work as an OR gate.  This means that if any ONE (or more) of those sensors is activated, anything following them will work.

So a garage door has power going to one camera either outside or inside the door and then, from that camera, it goes to the camera on the other side of the door.  From there, you can connect power to the door directly or through relays or other things (usually you'd just connect to the door directly in this case).

Now, this can be a challenge to wire depending what you're doing.  Sometimes it is difficult connect two or more sensors without a relay or something else between them.  For doors, this is usually possible without much trouble but for other things you might be trying to accomplish, it can be a challenge.  Sometimes you might need to connect to another hidden sensor to use that as a relay to reach a long distance.  Because it's an OR gate when sensors are connected to one another, this would work even though that sensor is hidden and will never trigger.

We all hope to see an improvement for electricity so you don't have to jump through hoops for things like this but this will work for the time being.

Regarding solar power, the way to do that is just to use a battery bank.  As long as the battery bank can provide the same power output as solar (actually 5 watts less since solar uses that much to charge the battery bank), you never have to worry about no power at night.  Solar to battery bank to power grid.  It works fine and has no need for a generator.  Unless something gets broken by a zombie, you're not going to ever need to worry about having a backup power source when you have solar.  Generators are different because even if you use a battery bank, if you leave the generator with no gas in it long enough for the batteries to die, you're out of luck.  But you just need to keep them filled and you're fine there as well.  Solar saves you having to worry about that.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

59 minutes ago, Hoodlumdan said:

It always struck me as a bit odd that objects can only take one input, it's very limiting.

I have a feeling the limitation is too prevent huge circuits that might affect performance.  But that is just a guess.  I'm more interested in logic gates than multiple inputs.

31 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I have a feeling the limitation is too prevent huge circuits that might affect performance.  But that is just a guess.  I'm more interested in logic gates than multiple inputs.

Logic gates would of course require multiple inputs. Anyway, a simple add/sum logic gate that outputs the total watts put in would allow for the functionality MCRoadkill is looking for.