Request for Weapon tiers -> Jamming, breaking

Cr0wst0rm

Hello Fun Pimps,

I personally think that the current way player obtains lower tier weapons makes no sense. For instance, if i enter a city and loot top tier loot containers (police station/army containers), i should get an AK or SHOTGUN and NOT some pipe gun. Pipe guns should be obtainable in residental small buildings that are out of city for example and look like they were handmade.

Balance tip -> Add weapon jamming for low tier weapons, so when player takes their time breaking top tier saves with stone axes, they get revarded with good weapon tipes (only in lower quality, thus breaking/jamming chance is higher). Current system makes player mad when getting worst loot from their effort and time invested.

Balance tip 2 -> Don't make gamestage decide the type of the weapon, make the area (loot container type) decide what types of weapons inside. THEN modify their qualities according to gamestage

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, please upvote

Thanks

43 minutes ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Hello Fun Pimps,

I personally think that the current way player obtains lower tier weapons makes no sense. For instance, if i enter a city and loot top tier loot containers (police station/army containers), i should get an AK or SHOTGUN and NOT some pipe gun. Pipe guns should be obtainable in residental small buildings that are out of city for example and look like they were handmade.

The distribution of loot is not done for realism reasons. This is not a simulation and balance is more important. Now do you really think the police station is soo much more difficult to clean than other tier2 buildings so that you should find better loot? Pipe guns are simply the lowest tier of guns and not a separate class of weapons

(I think the police station is more difficult than the standard tier2 building and maybe should actually get a small loot boost. But whether that is enough to get you tier1 weapons? Not sure)

Balance tip -> Add weapon jamming for low tier weapons, so when player takes their time breaking top tier saves with stone axes, they get revarded with good weapon tipes (only in lower quality, thus breaking/jamming chance is higher). Current system makes player mad when getting worst loot from their effort and time invested.

Balance tip 2 -> Don't make gamestage decide the type of the weapon, make the area (loot container type) decide what types of weapons inside. THEN modify their qualities according to gamestage

I agree that weapon jamming and weapon permanently breaking would be nice additions to the game. But both ideas are very controversial among players with lots of people adamently for or against. TFP seem to have the opinion that controversial features belong into mods so players can choose them after having had an introduction to the game with vanilla.

In other words TFP already thought about the idea, certainly discussed it and decided against it (for vanilla). And it was discussed multiple times here in the forum as well.

By the way what do you mean with "type of weapon" in your balance tip? For me type of weapon refers to shotgun or rifle or pistol or .... But I think you might refer to tier, i.e. tier0 (=pipe), tier1 (=AK, double barrel), otherwise your "tip" doesn't make much sense.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, please upvote

Thanks

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

I think most players don't want jamming weapons. They experimented with that in Far Cry 2 and it @%$#ed enough players off that it was removed from the series after that. TFP would need to at least give you an option like kicking or smashing with the butt of your rifle to buy you time to switch between weapons.

And the loot stage stuff is there for a reason. The system is pretty bad as-is (see the next most recent topic after yours) but I think it's better than putting items in 'logical' places because too many players would optimize the fun out of the game if they could just go to a certain spot and be guaranteed Godhood on day 1/2.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

The distribution of loot is not done for realism reasons. This is not a simulation and balance is more important. Now do you really think the police station is soo much more difficult to clean than other tier2 buildings so that you should find better loot? Pipe guns are simply the lowest tier of guns and not a separate class of weapons

(I think the police station is more difficult than the standard tier2 building and maybe should actually get a small loot boost. But whether that is enough to get you tier1 weapons? Not sure)

I agree that weapon jamming and weapon permanently breaking would be nice additions to the game. But both ideas are very controversial among players with lots of people adamently for or against. TFP seem to have the opinion that controversial features belong into mods so players can choose them after having had an introduction to the game with vanilla.

In other words TFP already thought about the idea, certainly discussed it and decided against it (for vanilla). And it was discussed multiple times here in the forum as well.

By the way what do you mean with "type of weapon" in your balance tip? For me type of weapon refers to shotgun or rifle or pistol or .... But I think you might refer to tier, i.e. tier0 (=pipe), tier1 (=AK, double barrel), otherwise your "tip" doesn't make much sense.

By tip i meant tip for developers, with type i refer to (AK47/Shotgun/Machine Gun/Pistol/Pipe Pistols), to have all kinds of weapons spread without affecting what type of weap we get. My point was that progression should affect only the quality, thus faster breaking down (because player is unexperienced in using such weapon).

1 hour ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

By tip i meant tip for developers,

I know.

1 hour ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

with type i refer to (AK47/Shotgun/Machine Gun/Pistol/Pipe Pistols), to have all kinds of weapons spread without affecting what type of weap we get.

So you mean that a Pistol or SMG should be lootable from the start, at the same time as a pipe pistol? That would not be a good design since those weapons are clear upgrades of each other currently. You would have to completely redesign them, otherwise there is no choice between pipe pistol and pistol or smg for example, you always would take the pistol instead of pipe pistol and the smg before any pistol.

And an SMG in the first days is overkill to the extreme.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

I mod the game so my opinion is obviously based on how I like to play 7D2D....

I like how the game progresses today.  I am fine with loot type being tied to days survived.  I like the early game struggle.  If it starts to become too much with the tier weapons I have, then I know it is time to progress further into one of the other biomes to get higher level gear if I am not seeing the necessary drops to better equip myself.

I also wouldn't mind if I got lucky and found a M60 at the start.  Why?  Because in my game, I can't repair it and it will only last so long before it gets broken.  And the chance of finding anything above Q2 is around 5%.  However, this only works in my modded game because of the limitations I coded into it.  This would not work in vanilla as once I found such M60, I am going to use it in every hoard night from that point on.  At that point, where is the challenge?

20 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I mod the game so my opinion is obviously based on how I like to play 7D2D....

I like how the game progresses today.  I am fine with loot type being tied to days survived.  I like the early game struggle.  If it starts to become too much with the tier weapons I have, then I know it is time to progress further into one of the other biomes to get higher level gear if I am not seeing the necessary drops to better equip myself.

I also wouldn't mind if I got lucky and found a M60 at the start.  Why?  Because in my game, I can't repair it and it will only last so long before it gets broken.  And the chance of finding anything above Q2 is around 5%.  However, this only works in my modded game because of the limitations I coded into it.  This would not work in vanilla as once I found such M60, I am going to use it in every hoard night from that point on.  At that point, where is the challenge?

Nice. Very nice. Don't like how some thing is? Then do something to change it to one's liking. Some day perhaps I'll be knowledgeable enough to make such changes myself. But in the mean time I've found the mods of others to work well enough.

I like your logic. Complain or construct an alternative. TFP has allowed for both. Only one of those options is going to give a guaranteed change. She-dogging is easy but rarely accomplishes anything.

Edited by Melange (see edit history)