7 Days to Die Dedicated Server not launching

LachoneusX

I had a server up and running this year, but a power surge killed my hard drive on my server PC so I've been waiting to get a new one. Just got it and was getting everything set up again and I cannot get the server to start. The cmd prompt will come up and execute the startserver.bat file but the 7 days server never actually starts. I have tried with the default serverconfig  files as well as my updated ones. 

Here is the last log file

https://pastebin.com/fbWTaCBM

Here is my serverconfig files

https://pastebin.com/AkKwSQPV

If i try to run the startdedicated as administrator it kicks me an error:

"Windows cannot find '7daystodieserver'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Any help is appreciated.

I tried this via SteamCMD and the steam client. I uninstalled and reinstalled both. Because it was a new hard drive and this is the only thing this PC is for, i actually did a full reinstall of windows and started from scratch. 

Starting at line 102 on the log file it goes through a few file names it said it couldn't find. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be there. I can try again but i feel like maybe i'm not getting them from the reinstall either. Even with a full removal and starting from scratch. 

I’m not knowledgable on the commands used to initiate the download but I remember reading that there’s been some changes at some point. Can you type out the commands that you are using then someone with knowledge can verify that it’s good? Otherwise, I can’t think of why you aren’t getting all of the files.

I'm not sure which commands you are asking about, so I'll just put in all the ones I can think of. 

First, when I went through the steam client, I didn't use any commands, just downloaded, changed a few settings in the serverconfig file (see above pastebin) and then launched, no dice.

Second, for SteamCMD, here is the startdedicated file:

https://pastebin.com/aEWevdZr

Last, for downloading 7Days to die server on the SteamCMD:

login anonymous

app_update 294420

I do not specify a folder and it downloads it into the SteamCMD folders I have in my C drive. 

Based on my limited understanding of these things, I do also think I'm missing files...I'm just not sure why or how to get the missing files...that's why I tried downloading through the client vs just the SteamCMD, thinking maybe that would provide a more complete file set. But no dice, even after uninstalling and re-downloading...

2 hours ago, LachoneusX said:

Just got it and was getting everything set up again and I cannot get the server to start

You're running a windows version from 2018.

Try starting the server again after running all windows updates, and then post a new log if it still fails.

I did have a LOT of windows updates. I went ahead and got through all those. Then uninstalled 7 Days server AND SteamCMD. Then Reinstalled SteamCMD and 7 Days to die (app_update 294420) and still no dice. Here is the log file. 

https://pastebin.com/43FY3QDr

Line 5 still looks like it is saying files are not complete. Still not sure where I can go to get the missing files. 

Thanks for your thoughts and help 

There is also an EOS error later on. Are you running an antivirus or are you using Windows Defender? If so, you need to create an exclusion for your server files. 

To try and get the missing plugins, go to 7DaysToDieServer_Data and delete the Plugins folder then verify the integrity of game files and run that twice.

20 hours ago, LachoneusX said:

appreciate your help and thoughts

From your log: "ERR [EOS] Native library or one of its dependencies not found (e.g. no Microsoft Visual C Redistributables 2022)"

You need to update or install Microsoft Visual C Redistributable 2022.

Odd...i did all the updates i could. Boy i wish i could read the log files like you can, thank you for helping. I re-installed windows and I'm going through all the updates again, hopefully i get it this time. If not i'll check specific for that one. Will report back as soon as i know. Thank you

51 minutes ago, LachoneusX said:

I re-installed windows and I'm going through all the updates again

You don't need to reinstall Windows, you just need to install or update the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2022. It is available as a download from

Microsoft if you do not currently have it.

Yes, got all my windows updates and installed the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2022. Everything working now. 

I re-installed windows because it was the biggest reset button i know and I was worried i had done something else wrong haha. But thank you, i believe that was the issue. 

Server is working now!

Edited by LachoneusX
Forgot to say it was working (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
On 5/20/2022 at 9:19 AM, Beelzybub said:

You don't need to reinstall Windows, you just need to install or update the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2022. It is available as a download from

Microsoft if you do not currently have it.

Late thanks - had this same issue and couldnt figure out why the game refused to launch on a recently formatted server machine - now i know why

Bit odd the game doesnt download or include this as part of the server package as a redist file