Prefab export question

I have a base that could easily be in two, separate parts (they're slightly offset). I know how to save a base, and can easily save this as two prefabs. There's a button labeled, "Export as part". I haven't been able to find any tutorials or vids that delve into that button's purpose.

Just wondering if this export as part feature would then label each, separate prefab as being part of a whole, and the import feature would automagically grab both prefabs, and put them in the correct place. Or, perhaps it does something completely different from my expectation? Has anyone played with that, that can shed some light?

8 minutes ago, EggsZachtly said:

I have a base that could easily be in two, separate parts (they're slightly offset). I know how to save a base, and can easily save this as two prefabs. There's a button labeled, "Export as part". I haven't been able to find any tutorials or vids that delve into that button's purpose.

Just wondering if this export as part feature would then label each, separate prefab as being part of a whole, and the import feature would automagically grab both prefabs, and put them in the correct place. Or, perhaps it does something completely different from my expectation? Has anyone played with that, that can shed some light?

Simply highlight and use the export as part and save then do the same for the other part. the saved parts then go into your appdata username/roaming/7dtd folder which then ofc you would have to drag across into your 7dtd game folder/data/prefab/parts for it to show in the parts editor menu to be selectable.

then in a poi you can place these 2 parts together and they will spawn in the game. They dont automatically do this if you just make parts you have to manually place them. 

Thanks! I'll see how much of a hassle it will be to do the save in parts, as opposed to just grabbing everything as a single prefab. That will bring up future questions about prefab size limits lol. But, I'll poke around with it a bit. Again, many thanks!

Parts are specifically used for conditional / random spawning of prefab pieces.  If you are just trying to save your base, I would recommend just exporting it as one piece if possible.

Keep in mind exporting your base will not save the contents of any storage boxes.

12 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Keep in mind exporting your base will not save the contents of any storage boxes.

Yes. This, I know. A lot of work went into the build. If I can save that time on a future map, I'll have more time to fill the boxes back up.  😃

Thanks for the intel on the "parts". I figured it's probably best to do it as one POI, but wasn't sure if "export part" was an option (and, it sounds like it's not).

Archived