Hatches behind doors?

Hiroler225

It's the basic idea of a fully functional* horde base, "the hatch base" or whatever. Two high doorway, a hatch blocking the lower half, your club blocking the upper half, no easier way in.

*degree of success may vary with individual preferences, additional use of traps, buff consumable selection, character level, and skill point distribution. No warranties given, implied or otherwise.

Since zombies can occasionally glitch through them, use the double sided poles and melee through those, that way they don't randomly glitch through the hole in the top, since plates are planning a rework for zombie pathing I changed up the hatch placement.

Some call it too cheesy but that's what you do in an apocalypse, you barricade yourself and give yourself the upper hand.

4 hours ago, Darklegend222 said:

Since zombies can occasionally glitch through them, use the double sided poles and melee through those, that way they don't randomly glitch through the hole in the top, since plates are planning a rework for zombie pathing I changed up the hatch placement.

Some call it too cheesy but that's what you do in an apocalypse, you barricade yourself and give yourself the upper hand.

I guess I'm not making myself.. the hatch doesnt go anywhere.. that hatch is placed in the square behind the doorway and the opened to create a "half door".  I am still trying to understand the strategic value..  I assume that since it is considered opened.. the will not try to destroy the  door..  

39 minutes ago, Hiroler225 said:

I guess I'm not making myself.. the hatch doesnt go anywhere.. that hatch is placed in the square behind the doorway and the opened to create a "half door".  I am still trying to understand the strategic value..  I assume that since it is considered opened.. the will not try to destroy the  door..  

If you open the hatch, they rarely get through. It makes it so you can melee them without too much worry of them hitting you or getting near you. It's not meant to prevent damage to the door, it's meant to prevent damage to you, and allow you to damage them. Glock 9s one shot one kill series will easily show you the value

6 minutes ago, Hiroler225 said:

@Darklegend222  thank you.. thats where I got the idea from.. was looking for a more thorough explanation.  i wasnt seeing the use in the  the one or two episodes i watched.. 

I wasn't expecting to prevent damage to the door.. but the zombies wont swing at the hatch either

That's interesting, it's a really great tactic in pois your going through, throw a hatch in the doorway, explore, run Back behind it and open it if your in danger then dispatch em easily

Edit: episode 3 and 4 of that series get heavy use out of the hatch, it's very well done.

Edited by Darklegend222 (see edit history)

I always use a similar system:

Normally I build a "two base" construct.

This includes one base with 8x8 or 9x9 blocks, 4 high. Entry is only possible with jumping on top (with some wooden frames which could easily be placed and removed. A hatch on the top. Alternativly you can just put one or two hatches between your roof top and your wood frames. Close when you want to enter, open when Zs arrive, so they can't jump or walk onto your roof. In the first base you have your inventory, forges, work benches etc. (maybe move it to underground later).

The second base is the same size and hight, but it is filled with massive concrete blocks. Connect both bases with a bridge, hatches or removable blocks.

On later stages I add a tunnel between both and a separate emergency exit/entry which is 15 or 20 blocks away and allows to enter the existing tunnel. Additionally I add bars all around the roof, so while Horde night you can just stand on top, see the Zs get wrecked in your traps around your base and kill them from above. 
On your second base it needs tons of time that the Zs can break into it (massive 3 or 4 blocks to enter). Later I add a cage with bars on the roof top to prevent the Z birds from attacking from top. 

First base can be used for at least 2 or 3 horde nights. Then the second one should be ready. So you have a massive horde night base, and your other stuff is save while you can kill all Zs without big effort. In Emergency enter the cage top or switch to your "first base". The "bridge" between the two bases can be extended with bars and cages, so you can kill Zs from there, too.
There is no urgent need to have this "hatches", I often just add and remove wooden frames to enter my base. But hatches before doors is a good trick to keep Zs where you want them.