Are there optimal crop positions now...?

OneManStanding

I'm wondering if there are optimal crop positions now. Normally positioning a plant will have a white highlight square before you actually click to plant it, but in certain locations - ie, on the roof of the metal cabin I was living in - the highlight was purple and these crops seemed to grow a lot faster. Previously I built my farmplots on the ground right outside my base, or used a handy poi that had farmplots built in. Maybe player-made farmplots are better than poi farmplots; or maybe if a farmplot is potentially shadowed by a building next to them it can take longer to grow, whereas planting them in a fully open position is better.

Anyone else noticed this purple highlight?

As far as I understand, the colors for the highlight are related to structural support; purple is a warning that there is no proper support at that location. With plants, some of the aiming and support things are a bit off so it may well show a wrong color for the highlights as well.

Plants do care if they light or not, but that afaik is a fairly simple distance calculation to the nearest free-up-to-the-skybox block, I don't think that is shown at planting time.

AFAIK any big variance in growing of player-planted seeds would be a bug.

I got the impression that I see a purple highlight if I'm too close to the plot. In A19 I would have not be able to put the block but in A20 it works (I see that a lot with placing ladders blocks while on the ladder directly below)