How do windows work now?

GlyphGryph

It seems like pieces you'd expect to be wood/glass combo blocks in the shape menu... aren't, anymore. They're just solid wood windows, which looks weird as hell. There's a few glass shapes, but not even many of those. I feel like I'm missing something, like the various wooden window shapes should be usable as windows.

The windows in the shapes menu are a combination of pre-done window textures and multi-texture blocks (along with some that are just open spaces). I don't know what the correct term for that is, but basically the blocks are multiple parts so that you can paint the sections with different textures. (There are also some other blocks that work this way, in the trim section, for example.) There is now a paint texture that matches the ones that have the "window blind" texture, it's called "opaque glass" in the paintbrush texture menu. So those "window" shapes that don't look like windows can be painted to look like windows.

I use those quite a lot now but man, it took me a hot minute to figure out how those weird shapes were supposed to be windows. Had to spend some time with my good friend paintbrush before I sorted that out. 

On the plus side, paint is super cheap in the campfire now, just need to have a cooking pot, 1 chrysanthemum and 1 murky water to make 100 paint. So at least you can experiment with low risk.

Edited by Mahnogard
clarity (see edit history)

1 hour ago, GlyphGryph said:

It seems like pieces you'd expect to be wood/glass combo blocks in the shape menu... aren't, anymore. They're just solid wood windows, which looks weird as hell. There's a few glass shapes, but not even many of those. I feel like I'm missing something, like the various wooden window shapes should be usable as windows.

You can still make wood windows, requires 4 wood + 1 glass block. The glass block you make in the forge.

8 minutes ago, GlyphGryph said:

Does the opaque glass texture let light through? Probably not, right?

No, it doesn't. It's advantage is that it has full-block hitpoints instead of the 100 of the regular glass window. Looks stylish but no sunlight in my kitchen unfortunately.