Trying to wire a 5x3 Garage door to two switches/inputs

stueck0514

Hey guys, I am trying to wire a 5x3 Garage Door using 2 sets of trip wires. I have a generator and relays set up. The thinking is that:

I drive up in the 4x4, hit the first trip wire and the garage door opens for 5-10 seconds so I can get into base. Then there is another trip wire inside the base that does the same thing, I run over it and the door opens up for 5-10 seconds then automatically closes.

Now, I can get one side to work only, the garage door only accepts 1 input wire. How do I wire this to where either tripwire opens the door?

---> Tripwire outside ---> Dedicated Relay ---> Garage door

Generator 1   ---|
                           ---> Tripwire inside ---> Dedicated Relay ---> Garage door

My issue is there is only 1 wire allowed on the door. How would I go about setting this up to where either tripwire opens the door?

Gen > Tripwire > Tripwire > Door

With tripwires, you'll end up having an extra trippable wire running between the first pair and the second pair; if you don't want that, you can chain any other trigger block (plate, camera) in a place where it won't bother you.

If that sounds like "it's wrong because that's in series, not parallel", give it a test first. The logic is odd, but works.. :)

Read the journal, people, I think it's referred to as Pass-through triggering. :)

For a real-life version, you're not pulling just one wire, you're pulling about 3. A couple for power, and a "switched" line. Any trigger element connects the power to the switched line. Relays and other consumers will then use the switched line, and connect it to any power lines that goes onward from it.