Why can we no longer generate 4K worlds?

zootal

Apologies if this has been brought before - but I notice that for both client and server, the minimal world size is now 6K.

If I try to generate a 4K world on the server, it throws an error and crashes. If I edit the menu xml file to allow the client to generate 4K worlds, it throws console errors and crashes. In neither case can I generate a 4k world. 6K and 8K works.

So the question - why can we no longer generate 4K worlds, and has anyone successfully done this?

It's either a bug or they have been removed, it's possible that a bug in the RWG is known and is why 4k worlds are not an option currently. I'd wait for the reply from a Mod/Dev or for stable to release before worrying about it. Why play on such a small world anyway (I am genuinely curious).

I often play on a 4k world if it's just me and maybe one or two others. Though usually I go for large worlds on my main server. We do it just for fun and because we can :). With A19 I vaguely recall playing with 2K and 1K worlds, but they did not generate well and were mostly not playable. 4K seemed to be the minimum for a decent playable world.

8 hours ago, zootal said:

Apologies if this has been brought before - but I notice that for both client and server, the minimal world size is now 6K.

If I try to generate a 4K world on the server, it throws an error and crashes. If I edit the menu xml file to allow the client to generate 4K worlds, it throws console errors and crashes. In neither case can I generate a 4k world. 6K and 8K works.

So the question - why can we no longer generate 4K worlds, and has anyone successfully done this?

They explicitly removed 4k worlds.    This was stated many, many, many months ago in the dev stream(and I assume the dev diary) when talking about the new RWG in the early days of A20 development.    The options now are 6/8/10.

On 12/10/2021 at 5:05 PM, JoeDaFrogman said:

They explicitly removed 4k worlds.    This was stated many, many, many months ago in the dev stream(and I assume the dev diary) when talking about the new RWG in the early days of A20 development.    The options now are 6/8/10.

Thanks, not all of us are able to keep up with the streams or the dev diary. I appreciate your willingness to tell people without berating them like some others tend to do without warning. (No this is not sarcasm).