Tristam's a20 mod release thread.

Tristam

31 minutes ago, haslador said:

Np, I wondered how often you update the mod on https://7daystodiemods.com/reclass/

I haven't, iirc.  I'm the type who likes to patch what he has before working on something new if I can.  With a few exceptions, of course.  TA needed a lot of work.  Still does, tbh.  But I wanted to handle its glaring flaws before expanding on anything else.  Besides, ReClass is easy to mod even for a casual user.  If someone wanted something like a new class, they could just do it themselves.

5 hours ago, Tristam said:

Thankfully, all the scope settings remain unscrewed.  I've been try-harding at a handful of guns, since it seems like (with my level of skill) messing with some of the guns will cause other failures.  Textures missing, and other bad stuff.  So I'm only going to remove the blue words on guns that I can do so without lowering the quality of their other features.  The only guns that still need a heavy helping hand are the S686 and Chinalake, with other guns needing very minor adjustments if that.  The Kriss Vector, Spas Shotgun, MP5's, and Ump have all been successfully updated.  Fully iron sight alignment and letter removal.  I also added a new Dev item that spawns all the TA mods for my sanity when it comes to testing everything.  All the guns now properly slow you down when you reload and drain your stamina when you ads.  I've also noticed the extra Garand's I left in the file, but I won't remove them yet to make it safe to update your game.  I'll remove them later down the line, though.  I wasn't going to throw up the current version until all the guns were done, but what the heck.

EDIT: Haven't forgotten about your loot list, Kingston621, just want to test it myself before putting it out for everyone.

I actually uncompressed the gun files too and quickly ran away rofl :D  It seems crazy in there.  Is there anyone on the forums with a large amount of Unity experience who may have a better idea of how to get rid of the words on those "difficult" guns?  I am impressed you have got as far as you have and I really appreciate it.

5 hours ago, MikeyUK said:

I actually uncompressed the gun files too and quickly ran away rofl :D  It seems crazy in there.  Is there anyone on the forums with a large amount of Unity experience who may have a better idea of how to get rid of the words on those "difficult" guns?  I am impressed you have got as far as you have and I really appreciate it.

There's a whole discord full of modders and anyone of the 2 dozen or so top dogs could do it, I'm sure.  But there's a pretty hands off policy about doing other people's projects.  They've all been helping me, guiding me, but it's less hand holding and a lot more Yoda.

20 minutes ago, Tristam said:

There's a whole discord full of modders and anyone of the 2 dozen or so top dogs could do it, I'm sure.  But there's a pretty hands off policy about doing other people's projects.  They've all been helping me, guiding me, but it's less hand holding and a lot more Yoda.

Rofl love it "a lot more Yoda".   Good luck then :)  XML/Programming is easy for me to understand but the intricacies of Unity seem mind boggling and nonsensical to me hehe.

Oh man, did you learn Unity @Tristam?? Crazy. Thanks for the update. Also, if you could spare a moment, would you mind checking this out? Its a mod of your TA with SMX compat and other stuff. I'm just interested in the SMX compat and how easy it would be to implement. I took a look and it looks like its just a modified xui.xml to make things work with SMX but I don't have the knowledge to tell if that is it. Thanks!

47 minutes ago, ate0ate said:

Oh man, did you learn Unity @Tristam?? Crazy. Thanks for the update. Also, if you could spare a moment, would you mind checking this out? Its a mod of your TA with SMX compat and other stuff. I'm just interested in the SMX compat and how easy it would be to implement. I took a look and it looks like its just a modified xui.xml to make things work with SMX but I don't have the knowledge to tell if that is it. Thanks!

I mean it seems to be a nice mod and to be perfectly honest I am tempted by it but if I was Tristam I'd be pretty @%$#ed.  Yeah they have added stuff and done their own work but in their latest update they have taken the VERY latest version of Tristam's TA (the one with some models without the blue text) and incorporated that into their update.  Given their "branch" came out before these were removed I would have thought it should be their job to do the hard work themselves in Unity and not just simply benefit and steal Tristam's hard work to incorporate into their new versions (with other stuff).

All I want is a great working version of TA but c'mon guys, be respectful to each other and don't just steal the best bits.

I don't know why, for example they didn't just release it as a TA addon override mod rather than a brand new version, would have been more respectful.

Edited by MikeyUK (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, MikeyUK said:

I mean it seems to be a nice mod and to be perfectly honest I am tempted by it but if I was Tristam I'd be pretty @%$#ed.  Yeah they have added stuff and done their own work but in their latest update they have taken the VERY latest version of Tristam's TA (the one with some models without the blue text) and incorporated that into their update.  Given their "branch" came out before these were removed I would have thought it should be their job to do the hard work themselves in Unity and not just simply benefit and steal Tristam's hard work to incorporate into their new versions (with other stuff).

All I want is a great working version of TA but c'mon guys, be respectful to each other and don't just steal the best bits.

I don't know why, for example they didn't just release it as a TA addon override mod rather than a brand new version, would have been more respectful.

Even though credit was given on the page, it is still disrespectful. 

A Terms of Service or Permission clause can be implemented on the page to prevent this sort of thing. But that is up to Tristam.

Edited by Kingston621 (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Kingston621 said:

Even though credit was given on the page, it is still disrespectful. 

People just think they can take whatever they want nowadays and noone can do anything about it, I have seen it more and more, in real life and online.   It's actually pretty depressing and makes (half decent) people like me almost want to do the same uncaring things as it seems the only way to not be @%$#ed over.  Sad state of affairs man but I doubt it will get any better.

Edit (due to @Kingston621's edit):

What Tristam should do is implement that clause but take the entirety of their mod without permission and provide all their changes as addons to his mod and see how they like it lol.

Edited by MikeyUK (see edit history)

You guys got it all wrong.  I'd be a hypocrite if I got upset with them.  It's IvanDx's mod at the end of the day.  He gave me his blessing to do this, but it's not my place to tell other people to do the same.  After all, everything I've learned here I've learned from frankensteining other mod author's works.  If you were to pick apart the code I used, you'd find about 2% original Tristam work, and the rest would be from the top mod authors around.  Too many for me to even begin to give credit to.  Besides, what's the harm?  We're all just making the game more fun for one another, right?

Also, Idk why there needs to be an SMX version anyway.  IIRC, all you had to do with my version was rename it so that it appears after SMX in your mod folder, alphabetically, and it would work.  I will say, his version is a lot more cleaned up though. :)

1 hour ago, ate0ate said:

I wouldn't say "learn".  But I've been taught by the other members of this modding community how to rotate models.  So the basics of the basics.  After that, it's just been a few weeks of trial and error, as usual.  I'm not done yet, but I'll get there.

Just now, Tristam said:

You guys got it all wrong.  I'd be a hypocrite if I got upset with them.  It's IvanDx's mod at the end of the day.  He gave me his blessing to do this, but it's not my place to tell other people to do the same.  After all, everything I've learned here I've learned from frankensteining other mod author's works.  If you were to pick apart the code I used, you'd find about 2% original Tristam work, and the rest would be from the top mod authors around.  Too many for me to even begin to give credit to.  Besides, what's the harm?  We're all just making the game more fun for one another, right?

Also, Idk why there needs to be an SMX version anyway.  IIRC, all you had to do with my version was rename it so that it appears after SMX in your mod folder, alphabetically, and it would work.  I will say, his version is a lot more cleaned up though. :)

I wouldn't say "learn".  But I've been taught by the other members of this modding community how to rotate models.  So the basics of the basics.  After that, it's just been a few weeks of trial and error, as usual.  I'm not done yet, but I'll get there.

Such a grown up response, well done :)  I have even more respect now!

I did not mind them doing the mod personally until today where they took all the Unity work you did yesterday and uploaded that into their new version (AFTER they had branched - you can see the folders lol).   But you are right, I will not try and rage on your behalf lol.  Though I personally believe you did it a bit different to them!  You did not take Ivans work and pass it off as your own and I suspect you most certainly did not take files he was actively working on and put them into your version without credit.  

Either way I digress.

From a consumer point of view it IS annoying to have multiple versions of TA which I am sure you CAN understand.  As the server owner I want the best and latest version of TA and now they are 2 to keep an eye on and decide which to use... Admin nightmare.

9 minutes ago, MikeyUK said:

Such a grown up response, well done :)  I have even more respect now!

I did not mind them doing the mod personally until today where they took all the Unity work you did yesterday and uploaded that into their new version (AFTER they had branched - you can see the folders lol).   But you are right, I will not try and rage on your behalf lol.  Though I personally believe you did it a bit different to them!  You did not take Ivans work and pass it off as your own and I suspect you most certainly did not take files he was actively working on and put them into your version without credit.  

Either way I digress.

From a consumer point of view it IS annoying to have multiple versions of TA which I am sure you CAN understand.  As the server owner I want the best and latest version of TA and now they are 2 to keep an eye on and decide which to use... Admin nightmare.

I suggest you try one version one day, roll back and try the other.  Make it a community event, and roll back regardless of which your server votes on.  People can have fun and be silly without fear, all the while choosing their fav.  Easy.

6 minutes ago, Tristam said:

My apologies. You are right.  I am guilty of it too.  I use the NPCcore and Score in my game along with several other mods and I've had to rewrite code to make them work together.  By the way, the changes you made are working great.  

3 minutes ago, Tristam said:

I suggest you try one version one day, roll back and try the other.  Make it a community event, and roll back regardless of which your server votes on.  People can have fun and be silly without fear, all the while choosing their fav.  Easy.

Thanks for the helpful response but this is not about the people's choice ;)  We are a dictatorship not a republic hehe.  Jokes aside this is not about what mod is "best", it's just a case of things being a headache for server owners.

For example I obviously want all the blue text gone, it's the most annoying thing about the mod, until a few days ago I would only have to track your version of TA to ensure I have the latest and greatest, now I have to track multiple mods and pick through the changes carefully to make a decision on what to do (they don't mention they incorporated your new models in their patch notes for example).

I guess that's me being selfish and not wanting to track multiple mods and wade through patch notes to check which version has what bits I want (will their next version use your new model updates when you push them out for example, if I was to choose theirs over yours etc). As you said all of this is about making the game more fun but I am not having fun having to make these choices on a DAILY basis lol.  

Sorry for the drama anyway :D  I will stop my ranting now!

Sorry, I wasn't trying to stir up anything, I was just genuinely curious if anything done there could be helpful here is all. I just started using SMX myself so I saw the other version claim support and was interested. I have no issues running this with SMX at all even without renaming as SMX's compat patch seems to address that. I think I wrongly assumed that the other version of TA actually supported SMX, as in integrated the UI and whatnot. I am not sure that is the case after looking at the xml and I haven't personally tried it myself since I'm a bit attached to this version lol. I kind of look at this version as not a community version per se as it is clearly Tristam's work keeping it alive, but definitely open to community input, which is great. I actually did leave a comment on the other guy's version a day or two ago very gently nudging him in this direction (over to the forums) and asking what his plans were for keeping things parallel. As far as I know they never replied. I don't know but I kinda made the opposite assumptions and just assumed good intentions but I can see why there would be some concern in hindsight and I have no idea what the truth of the matter is. Sorry again guys.

1 hour ago, ate0ate said:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to stir up anything, I was just genuinely curious if anything done there could be helpful here is all. I just started using SMX myself so I saw the other version claim support and was interested. I have no issues running this with SMX at all even without renaming as SMX's compat patch seems to address that. I think I wrongly assumed that the other version of TA actually supported SMX, as in integrated the UI and whatnot. I am not sure that is the case after looking at the xml and I haven't personally tried it myself since I'm a bit attached to this version lol. I kind of look at this version as not a community version per se as it is clearly Tristam's work keeping it alive, but definitely open to community input, which is great. I actually did leave a comment on the other guy's version a day or two ago very gently nudging him in this direction (over to the forums) and asking what his plans were for keeping things parallel. As far as I know they never replied. I don't know but I kinda made the opposite assumptions and just assumed good intentions but I can see why there would be some concern in hindsight and I have no idea what the truth of the matter is. Sorry again guys.

Lol it's all good man! Noone is upset least of all Tristam hehe. I've been keeping an eye on that mod too and as I've said above my personal concern was about the parralel aspects too and my own selfish needs from an admin point of view.  I did get a bit narked on behalf of Tristam which I apologise for, he's much more mature than I am and I'm almost boomer age lol. 

Well, think of it this way: the more patches that are made for this the better.  That way, more people get to use it and more interest stirs up.  If one day someone who does know how to really overhaul the mod steps in, we'll all benefit, right?  The alternate version of TA allow it to reach a wider audience.

And for the record, I'm 35 going on 90. 🤙

2 hours ago, Tristam said:

Well, think of it this way: the more patches that are made for this the better.  That way, more people get to use it and more interest stirs up.  If one day someone who does know how to really overhaul the mod steps in, we'll all benefit, right?  The alternate version of TA allow it to reach a wider audience.

And for the record, I'm 35 going on 90. 🤙

Fair enough :D Im 46 going on 7 (according to my wife...)

On 1/30/2022 at 2:30 AM, ate0ate said:

It is not you whom needs to apologize.  I am sorry for my outburst.  I want to think, in the end, we are all just coding geeks trying to improve the game and having fun.

Again, my apologies.

Edited by Kingston621 (see edit history)

Whoa I just got caught up on this thread. I downloaded Tristams updated models to see what changed and how to possibly duplicate it while making my own changes. I thought i modified the xml to use the default models and not his updated ones  . I am not home right now so I can't check.  my original intent was to add SMX compatibility and never touch it again.  i use this mod on our server with a bunch of my close friends. We noticed a bunch of things we wanted to change and fix so I got into modding for this game. I have learned a ton in the past few days and plan on making a patch for Tristams version that JUST adds proper smx compatibility and making enough changes to my version to call it something else.  my todo is to fix the quality issues and fix a bunch more things to make it a proper fork. Sorry about the confusion. I Joined this forum to add my explanation.   

Goddammit the mobile Website is making this way harder then it has to be lol. I can't seem to quote text.             Ate0atw I have replied to your message but the reply is awaiting moderation and approval. All my replies are like that.   Again sorry for the confusion. 

1 hour ago, ViperInfinity said:

Goddammit the mobile Website is making this way harder then it has to be lol. I can't seem to quote text.             Ate0atw I have replied to your message but the reply is awaiting moderation and approval. All my replies are like that.   Again sorry for the confusion. 

I can't speak for IvanDx and his mod, but any changes I make are open source. That's the term, right?  The community has free reign on it.  So go nuts man. :)

40 minutes ago, Tristam said:

I can't speak for IvanDx and his mod, but any changes I make are open source. That's the term, right?  The community has free reign on it.  So go nuts man. :)

Definitely the right term for you not minding your stuff being out there and altered!  Though whether the original models are open source or not is debatable, I have no idea where they came from.  

Whoever gets rid of the blue text first, i'll be using that version either way :D hehe.

1 hour ago, MikeyUK said:

Definitely the right term for you not minding your stuff being out there and altered!  Though whether the original models are open source or not is debatable, I have no idea where they came from.  

Whoever gets rid of the blue text first, i'll be using that version either way :D hehe.

I mean, if I delete the weapons models they will technically be gone. ;)

spacer.png

11 hours ago, ViperInfinity said:

Yeah, that drives me nuts over there. Sometimes you just wanna ask a question and it can take a day or two for the post to go through lol. I guess if literally anyone can post anything there would need to be some sort of moderation.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome:) Glad to see you here man.

Edited by ate0ate (see edit history)