Optimization

TheNoob

16 minutes ago, Gamida said:

That gives me some hope. I am thinking of updating to 32GB ram and an an ssd. I can play the game pretty well with what I am using now but thought doing that might help. With my settings most times I get around 60fps.

This gives me another slight nudge toward pulling the trigger on ram and ssd.

The biggest improvement was really the SSD.  I had the game installed on SSD, but my OS SSD is tiny and so I had the page file on my HDD.  With low RAM and using a slow page file, I typically got fps in the 20s or even lower.  The biggest hits were in the tier 5 cities.  With the new SSD, I can have my page file on SSD (it's on my tiny M.2 SSD and the game was moved to the new SATA SSD).  So even though the game is on a slower SSD, the page file on the fast SSD made a huge difference.  Adding the extra RAM completed the improvement for me.  I haven't seen it drop under 40fps even with a lot of really textured blocks being focused on and almost all the rest of the time it's a steady 59-60.  It isn't perfect by any means but I also don't have a great computer.  This was a low end gaming PC 4+ years ago and my only improvement to it was RAM and another SSD.

4 hours ago, Riamus said:

The biggest improvement was really the SSD.  I had the game installed on SSD, but my OS SSD is tiny and so I had the page file on my HDD.  With low RAM and using a slow page file, I typically got fps in the 20s or even lower.  The biggest hits were in the tier 5 cities.  With the new SSD, I can have my page file on SSD (it's on my tiny M.2 SSD and the game was moved to the new SATA SSD).  So even though the game is on a slower SSD, the page file on the fast SSD made a huge difference.  Adding the extra RAM completed the improvement for me.  I haven't seen it drop under 40fps even with a lot of really textured blocks being focused on and almost all the rest of the time it's a steady 59-60.  It isn't perfect by any means but I also don't have a great computer.  This was a low end gaming PC 4+ years ago and my only improvement to it was RAM and another SSD.

I will hopefully soon be running 64GB DDR5 4800 (stock speed for the motherboard) and my OS on a 1TB M.2 PCIx 4.0 NVMe and Steam on a 2TB M.2 PCIx 4.0 NVMe. I know this is not much of an upgrade from my 32GB DDR4 3000 and PCIx 3.0 NVMe M.2s, but the Intel Core i7-13700K and RTX 4070Ti should make the most difference.

I know the 64GB is unnecessary, but it will be future proof if 64Gb becomes the sweet spot someday.

I am using what newegg offers (for poor people) for financing without credit checks, which is pay over a year or two. This allows me to make 60.00 payments a month which it the only way I can get these things.

I would MUCH RATHER  be playing on my dead PC right now but the upgrade will be nice to have.

I know I sound like those guys I hate, bragging about their rig, but my upgrade is so far away right now that I do not feel too guilty and I have a dead PC in my living room, so its not as much of an upgrade as it is a new PC to replace the other one.

My luck as it is, I will be RMAing the Motherboard, RAM and Video Card in an endless loop. I used to trust Newegg, as they never sold me garbage, but the 16TB SATA drive I bought was a brick so I don't know about them anymore, especially with the new sellers thing they have - like on amazon - which I hate. The sellers could be scammers for all anyone knows. I miss getting my parts from newegg direct.

And I just did it again, I completely derailed the post.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)