Ability to give a buff as a reward through the Quest object

FuriousRamsay

On 8/28/2021 at 6:28 PM, BFT2020 said:

It’s a survival game, you don’t automatically heal injuries just because you completed a quest.  I don’t see TFP doing this.

Not after every quest sure, but as a possible reward for quests that sometimes shows up, why not?

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Not after every quest sure, but as a possible reward for quests that sometimes shows up, why not?

I am sure some people would like that, but as part of the vanilla game?  Maybe more in a mod.  If it were to become part of the vanilla game, hopefully it is easy to mod out.

At the moment you can get 10(?) healing bandages worth 250 HP as a quest reward. A full heal instead is worth 0 to 8 healing bandages depending on your current health, so practically always less than quest reward above. Since you are safe in the trader cubicle it would still be less valuable even if the heal were instanteous. And even if the 10 above were only 5 I don't see a balance problem

I would like that feature as it would make the trader rewards more variable though I suspect I would almost never have the luck to suffer from bad health or an ailment exactly at the time I get offered the reward at the trader.

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

At the moment you can get 10(?) healing bandages worth 250 HP as a quest reward. A full heal instead is worth 0 to 8 healing bandages depending on your current health, so practically always less than quest reward above. Since you are safe in the trader cubicle it would still be less valuable even if the heal were instanteous. And even if the 10 above were only 5 I don't see a balance problem

Not if you nerf the quest rewards through xml editing 😉

If it was to happen, that's fine.  It would just feel like the game is constantly being changed from a survival game to an arcade game to make it easier to play.  Kind of takes the challenge out of it if we start introducing instant heals and instant injuries fixes just because you dug up a box alongside the road.

Edited by BFT2020
less offensive way to say it (see edit history)

5 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Not if you nerf the quest rewards through xml editing 😉

If it was to happen, that's fine.  It would just feel like the game is constantly being changed from a survival game to an arcade game to make it easier to play.  Kind of takes the challenge out of it if we start introducing instant heals and instant injuries fixes just because you dug up a box alongside the road.

If it makes the game easier to play it is not balanced. So where do you think it is unbalanced when compared to 5 or 10 healing bandages that you could anywhere and not only at the trader?

Where is the challenge in applying 5 healing bandages in the safety of the traders cubicle? Do the 10 seconds you need for it make it somehow more difficult even though you are at the trader? Or did you find a way of giving back a quest in the middle of a hard fight when you desperately need fast healing? At least in my games there usually is no trader around when my HPs go low.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

15 hours ago, meganoth said:

If it makes the game easier to play it is not balanced. So where do you think it is unbalanced when compared to 5 or 10 healing bandages that you could anywhere and not only at the trader?

Where is the challenge in applying 5 healing bandages in the safety of the traders cubicle? Do the 10 seconds you need for it make it somehow more difficult even though you are at the trader? Or did you find a way of giving back a quest in the middle of a hard fight when you desperately need fast healing? At least in my games there usually is no trader around when my HPs go low.

Yeah those items are still an issue.

Really my first post was more of letting fear get in the way than anything.  After thinking about it over the past few days, I realized that TFP are not going to change the mechanics behind the game since they only want a few more Alphas before making the game final.  So even if they were to start to implement some of these ideas, it would just be as easy to remove them once the game goes Gold (and now that I am starting to mod the game the way I want it to be).

Back to the OPs suggestion / request, even if TFP don't do this, this could easily be done via XML.  Maybe the best way would be to create a new item , like a red pill (i.e. the truth being you are in a game and anything is possible 😉 ).  Then just have it as a reward item and the survivor can select it.  It would be coded to replace all health and remove all de-buffs like a broken bones, infections, abrasions, and such.

I agree with your comments about those items.  I did do a No trader run, but I like to keep them as I feel they are a good element in the game, just not where I think they should be at.  I been making changes to Khaine's Romero mod as I like how he approached the game play, but like any game or mod, there are things we all wish were different and we can never all agree on what they should be.  Right now, I adjusted the traders so they only stock specific items per trader.  For example, Jen has food, medical items, items used for medical crafting, and specific perk / recipes; while Hugh only stocks weapons and weapon mods, along with all Firearm perks / schematics.  I am still working on those changes, and will probably restrict them even more; but I haven't been willing to make big changes yet.

To address the medical items, I changed the HP for both the First Aid bandages and Painkillers to 1 HP recover.  So now they are only really good for addressing abrasions and concussions.  I haven't decided yet what I want to do with First Aid kits, but I might change both the crafting recipe and reduce the HP gain.

I have other ideas that I want to implement (like minimizing Dukes and changing what you can get via looting), but I know the route I want to go probably would only appeal to myself and like thinking people, but not to hardcore survivalists or those that like the game as it is today (and definitely not to those that want to find excellent loot early on in the game).