Floors

AlexHarris

So I set up my base in a two story house and the second floor where I keep my farming, keeps on falling. Is there a (ex: 6x6) dimension to put like, supports or something? It keeps on falling, damaging my stuff and my farm plots end up falling with the floor. By the way, I do take out the floor, and put the farm plot in its place. Not sure if that is an issue.

11 hours ago, AlexHarris said:

So I set up my base in a two story house and the second floor where I keep my farming, keeps on falling. Is there a (ex: 6x6) dimension to put like, supports or something? It keeps on falling, damaging my stuff and my farm plots end up falling with the floor. By the way, I do take out the floor, and put the farm plot in its place. Not sure if that is an issue.

that could be the issue alex because farm plots dont have much SI

The wiki is quite outdated, so beware.. Farm plots have a weight of 10 and a horizontal support of mere 20. That means, you can put two in a row hanging from a wall and that should be fine (as long as your wall is supported from bedrock.)

That means, if you have two parallel walls you can hang two from each side, the distance between the walls can be 4 without extra supports.

If you add a floor under the farm plots, you can carry more. Stone blocks (cobblestones, concretes) have a weight of 10 and support of 120; from one supported stone face you can hang 12 other stone blocks.. if we're adding the weight of the farm plot on top, that will reduce to 6 (floor + plot). That should be enough for most POI indoor farms, as the rooms aren't that large (that 6 will allow a width of more than 12 if you have all your walls supporting.)

Just make sure the blocks you attach your stone floor to are also stone (or iron); as wood will have a lot less support (40) and can cause issues.

I've made alternating rows of farming plots/blocks/farming plots/blocks. With one block on each side of the rows to connect to the walls. I thought this would've been ok. So I should put the farm plots on top of the blocks? Correct?

Tried to put a picture on here, but I couldn't.

Hmm.. that's a setup I wouldn't be able to answer about with confidence.

1) I can't be sure I understand your setup from text correctly

and

2) Alternating blocks isn't something I've tested anything about

For a setup like (looking from above):

Stone Wall - empty ----

Stone Wall - stone - farm - stone - farm

Stone Wall - empty ----

Looking at it without a wall at the end of the stone lines (ie., no support from the ends), the first (row of) farm plot(s) will collapse first, and it would collapse the moment you try to attach the second farm plot. In other words, there's no benefit from that direction.

If the stone block lines are attached to a supported stone wall at the ends (as in, properly supported from that end), you should be fine with a length of about 12 - one stone row carrying one plot row, while being carried from both ends. If your vertical space is limited, that should work;

Stone Wall -   SW -  SW  -  SW  -  SW -

(repeat for 8 more rows)

Stone Wall -   SW -  SW  -  SW  -  SW -

I wouldn't build a massive thing without trying in a test world first, the SI calculation may well do a hiccup at some point. Having a solid floor would make it more stable, but if it stays, it stays ... :)