Setting up a local server without broadband

wolfbain5

got a technical question.

I am moving to an area with no broadband. I am setting up a local sever for 7days for my family. is there a way to set it up as a local host through our router so that it doesnt have to go online to play and connect?

we will be having a 2 up 10 down wireless connection for internet. which is @%$# for online gaming

16 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

got a technical question.

I am moving to an area with no broadband. I am setting up a local sever for 7days for my family. is there a way to set it up as a local host through our router so that it doesnt have to go online to play and connect?

we will be having a 2 up 10 down wireless connection for internet. which is @%$# for online gaming

You need an internet connection for steam validation, but that is a few kilobytes of traffic at the start of a session, you could do that even with smoke signals 😁

The heavy traffic will be just between the server and all clients which are all on the same LAN. You don't need to setup the router in any special way since the server never needs to advertise its services to external players. You simply connect to the server through the IP address, there is a button below the server list where you can connect by IP

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

ok, the ip address, or the tcpip address on the lan?  this is not something I have done before. will need an idiots guide. I saw the ones that go up for public, but it asks for the external ip. the internet one. I dont want it to have to have the local machines ping the internet just to bounce back to the local network. If I have this idea worng, I would appreciate a correction and maybe some details

12 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

ok, the ip address, or the tcpip address on the lan?  this is not something I have done before. will need an idiots guide. I saw the ones that go up for public, but it asks for the external ip. the internet one. I dont want it to have to have the local machines ping the internet just to bounce back to the local network. If I have this idea worng, I would appreciate a correction and maybe some details

Use the lan ip address. This makes everything easy as the router is NOT involved, at all. All data between server and clients will stay local.

The worst case would be if you instead wanted to host a public server and mix that with local players. THEN you might need to use the external IP address to avoid bugs in routers or network code. Actually I tried a similar setting a few years ago and used the LAN IP address while external players obviously used the public IP and I had no problems with this. But it probably depends on router, the alpha version and a few other things, on the forum there were people occasionally who had problems with this.