Modular Buildings - Randomly generated POI

Corneliu

The system that stitches together the city should be expanded to generate random building interiors.

Q: Why? 

A: I love the current POIs, but they are all holding my hand and guiding me through. I would prefer less predictable POIs.

Some apartment buildings are constructed from prefabricated pieces of reinforced concrete IRL. 

Appartments at lvl 1 are the same as the ones on lvl2. These should be inter-changeable, or considered a standard 'tile'.

Any multi-level building could have a system of randomly spawnable rooms that will randomize the [building interior picked] on world generation.

A parking lot would have a random nr. of cars and types spawned, it's attached self-storage building will be a fixed size random set of rooms generated.

This should allow for various tilable buildings to be randomly generated spacer.png

( make a building composed out of  [ level0, level1,... level300]  , levels would hold the definition for doors spawn type ( locked/locked_reinforced/etc. ) and contain a tilable identifier for apartments. Apartments could be the result of stitching together  apt = [Kitchen_01, Bedroom_04, Bathroom_Small_07, Living_Room_Double_02] .

As cool as procedurally generated rooms sounds, at the end of the day there are a ton of limitations and considerations.

For example, in real life most room dimensions are not identical and don't have the same layouts throughout, especially across different types of buildings.

Could you design rooms in the game to have identical dimensions and connect seamlessly?  Sure you could but you will run into alot of limitations in design and character.

At some point you have to look at the time and effort to create the amount of variable assets needed in order to create the illusion of a believable world VS the more traditional design method.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

21 hours ago, Laz Man said:

As cool as procedurally generated rooms sounds, at the end of the day there are a ton of limitations and considerations.

For example, in real life most room dimensions are not identical and don't have the same layouts throughout, especially across different types of buildings.

Could you design rooms in the game to have identical dimensions and connect seamlessly?  Sure you could but you will run into alot of limitations in design and character.

At some point you have to look at the time and effort to create the amount of variable assets needed in order to create the illusion of a believable world VS the more traditional design method.

well ...  you are half right - it was old soviet movie- guy live in block of flats on lennin street . and he is going to his friends and start drinking. one of them  must fly to staligrad but any of them remember who.  this guy is put drunk into the plain and send into staligrad. he wake up on street and take taxi  to his house- he mistakes them with him because everyyhing looks this same but this flat belong to woman. so in russia it could work. even in poland if it will be set in 1995.  i don't live in usa but in poland we have  this same looking supermarkets , newspaper agents ( they belong to Ruch) . even some blocks of flats look this same just  past and copy. so i few sitation this have more sense. rly this looks kinda creepy sometimes.

So honestly looking everything this same have more sens that you thought. damn i miss this days

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)