Progression Overhaul Idea. 1 main attribute (presentation included).

TWORDY

Hi, everyone.

I believe that what had been great about the previous „Learn By Doing” progression system is complete freedom of choice. I`m not proposing any brand new revolutionary idea that would require the creation of the system from a scratch. It`s not a new progression system, more or like the redesigned placement of all abilities. 

I reassigned all the existing abilities except "Penetrator" (I believe that properties of Penetrator as ability must be solely incorporated with ammo type so everyone could feel the greatness of penetration) and 4 grand Attributes like Fortitude, etc. were removed. Only one main attribute is present as the main gateway of the progression scheme in the paper. I have divided all existing abilities into 11 themes that might be progressed in by a player at the same time contrary to a current order of things in the A19/20 period. Some abilities require additional point(s) at the 4th and 5th level so the missing points by deletion of 4 main attributes might fill back the void, giving a player more time to max out a particular ability at the same time - the progression actually takes longer to max out a particular ability! 

Moreover, The Brawler and Gunslinger are being automatically unlocked/upgraded just by assigning points into the Main Attribute in the document. I believe that Fists and Personal Protection Weapons should not necessarily compete with other categories and stay naturally weaker at some point to make the game more believable, balanced, and fun to interact with. At the same time, players would have basic abilities to counter the enemies on day 1. Archery could have been easily accessible by making it a good choice in the early stages of the game, and a decent companion throughout the entire campaign. In addition, players may upgrade their health/stamina bars also, but I present the idea rather solely as an example of what can be done.

Obviously, there must be some constraints in the positive meaning of that word/notion to give some sense of progression and purpose to a player. I have no idea if the system is perfect in any sense that I'm willing to share, but some changes involved might potentially have some advantages over the existing system and inspire game modders and finally the devs. The downside of the current system in A19 is the lack of compulsory armor progression in every class and having a dedicated weapon type behind it. I would rather resign from giving the higher output of weapon damage in the current progression system and grant better protection with any type of armor instead, that could be progressively improved. Weapons should be scattered across the map and get better with their dedicated mods, same as armor in harder POIs and biomes.

In the proposed system there aren`t five "classes", attributes, just a player and his indisputable intuition. Thanks to this solution gamers may choose from the very beginning any weapon or ability available and then slowly progress step by step. Armor would become a compulsory item in the game as well to be worn by any gamer. I would like to see some clusters/bubbles/tress in 2D graphics (you name it) rather than current rubrics. 

It`s solely my own reinvention and I hope this post may spark some new ideas.

Cheers.

P1.gif

P2.gif

P3.gif

P4.gif

P5.gif

P6.gif

P7.gif

Edited by TWORDY
Poor compression so its in gif format... its a pity i cant upload pdf file... (see edit history)

Okay this idea is good but it have i problem - it can be problem to "connect" it with gamestage because now gamestage is connected with level day and die numbers so - this can be a problem and need t work to make a balance 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 10:17 PM, Matt115 said:

Okay this idea is good but it have i problem - it can be problem to "connect" it with gamestage because now gamestage is connected with level day and die numbers so - this can be a problem and need t work to make a balance 

The game-staging would feel almost exactly the same as with progression currently available with 1 class. You can`t have it all at a 1:1 ratio as they say. Also perking into ability at 4th or 5th lvl takes more time so progression and game staging are longer but the number of needed points in the pool would be similar to the current system. I don`t know exactly how everything would relate to overall balance but since everything is meant to be available at once then it`s a less important matter tbh.

4 hours ago, TWORDY said:

The game-staging would feel almost exactly the same as with progression currently available with 1 class. You can`t have it all at a 1:1 ratio as they say. Also perking into ability at 4th or 5th lvl takes more time so progression and game staging are longer but the number of needed points in the pool would be similar to the current system. I don`t know exactly how everything would relate to overall balance but since everything is meant to be available at once then it`s a less important matter tbh.

well i think in "programing " mean it will be hard to implement. it could quiet fix and errors stuff to make a ballance