Czech language translation - voluntarily

Good day survivors!
I have been gathering information and demand for Czech translation for our beloved game across Facebook groups, Discord servers, TeamSpeak 3 servers and have come to a conclusion that the demand for a translation into Czech language is just too great to be ignored. The community varies with age (10-50+) thus the translation would help big time! I know that English language localization is fine and there is an incentive to actually learn English. However, there are still people in these two countries that refuse / don't have the capability to learn.
Thus, in the name of the whole Czech & Slovakian community - I would love to work on the Czech localization by myself (for free!) as I have experience with writing essays in Czech language, had A+ grades of Czech language C1-C2 language levels on elementary/high school. 

I am a big fan of the game with approximately 2,5k hours in it - started playing in the early days (A10+) thus I think it would be more than suitable in this cause.

Best regards,
Bc. Jan Pála

Czech republic

There are two ways:

1) Officially (as far as I know) TFP uses a commercial service to make its translations, they don't use fan contributions. I don't know whether they have planned more languages to support, but if yes, that could take a while and is far from a sure thing.

2) Inofficially, it should be possible to make a mod. Since steam workshop integration is on the agenda such a mod would be very easy to install in the release version. Until then such a mod would have to be installed manually though that is quite easy nowadays.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 4:44 AM, meganoth said:

There are two ways:

1) Officially (as far as I know) TFP uses a commercial service to make its translations, they don't use fan contributions. I don't know whether they have planned more languages to support, but if yes, that could take a while and is far from a sure thing.

2) Inofficially, it should be possible to make a mod. Since steam workshop integration is on the agenda such a mod would be very easy to install in the release version. Until then such a mod would have to be installed manually though that is quite easy nowadays.

You can certainly make a translation modlet.  I did this for my translation to Esperanto.

I speak multiple languages and Czech is one of them. Do you mean voice over translation for ingame or just the text translations? If voice overs are needed, I can help do Jen the trader voice translations for you. I dont think there are any other female NPC's ingame other than Jen?

On 6/16/2021 at 10:47 PM, Lucy101 said:

I speak multiple languages and Czech is one of them. Do you mean voice over translation for ingame or just the text translations? If voice overs are needed, I can help do Jen the trader voice translations for you. I dont think there are any other female NPC's ingame other than Jen?

That’s correct; she’s the only female that speaks in the game currently.  Though the trader voice lines are more ‘flavor’ than anything.  It would be more important to translate all the written text, so that Czech players can read journal tips, stats on items, etc.  Thankfully all of that is in one or two Localization.txt files, so it could be a compact mod to make.