Snipers should have Longshot bonus!

Adam the Waster

When it comes to snipers, they have the Highest Max damage and range, But overall. if you get a 4x4 scope with a AR, or anything really! then boom you have a Sniper!
then it kinda wrecks the role of the sniper.

SO here is a Idea

Sniper rifles should have a Longshot bonus. when you hit a zombie at a point of range. like maybe 850M. you will get a Longshot bonus! 

the Base extra damage is 3.5x but when the marksman perk reaches 3, 4 and 5 it will go up by 0.5 so it will be 5x. and with the sniper perk it can go up by another 0.5 so. 5.5 with all perks and books! 

So being a Sniper will serve a better role

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

When it comes to snipers, they have the Highest Max damage and range, But overall. if you get a 4x4 scope with a AR, or anything really! then boom you have a Sniper!
then it kinda wrecks the role of the sniper.

SO here is a Idea

Sniper rifles should have a Longshot bonus. when you hit a zombie at a point of range. like maybe 850M. you will get a Longshot bonus! 

the Base extra damage is 3.5x but when the marksman perk reaches 3, 4 and 5 it will go up by 0.5 so it will be 5x. and with the sniper perk it can go up by another 0.5 so. 5.5 with all perks and books! 

So being a Sniper will serve a better role

And bigger headshot crits . Longshot can be problem on weak pc unfortunatly so bigger headshot bonus is more "fair" and maybe more ammo types for them

32 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

not really. just more damage at a further range. like the normal sniping distance 

Well maybe add something like distance calculate mod : you see how far target is on your scope so you can know if you get a bonus or not

it should not be that much.

AT MOST 50 BLOCKS AWAY and you will get it. maybe 85 or 90

Well i was playing in cod today and sometimes i wasn't sure if shot will be longshot or not .  What if zombie if 60 block away of you but on 30 block of bulding etc so craftable mod which allow you "know" how far target is will be optimal. well mods in most are mid/late gamestage

Like you touched on in your first post, I think the main problem here is the ridiculously long effective range of machinegun perk weapons. Because most meaningful engagements in this game happens at very close range, is it then really necessary for an AK to retain it's base damage for up to 50(!) blocks away? In my experience that is practically sniping distance.

I'd say start by nerfing machinegun effective range (but keep max range), so that they no longer encroach on sniper territory.

25 minutes ago, elektrohund said:

Like you touched on in your first post, I think the main problem here is the ridiculously long effective range of machinegun perk weapons. Because most meaningful engagements in this game happens at very close range, is it then really necessary for an AK to retain it's base damage for up to 50(!) blocks away? In my experience that is practically sniping distance.

I'd say start by nerfing machinegun effective range (but keep max range), so that they no longer encroach on sniper territory.

agreed 

and its not even with perks 

i don't really invest in those perks really but i can still drop a zombie about 90 blocks away with a TAR with a 4x4 scope!

personally what i would do is add a new ammo type JUST for snipers. the 7.76 would be for Ars and maybe something like 308 for snipers

that ammo does higher base damage then 7.76 and would make that ammo a less (jack of all trades ammo)

then the long shot buff. i was thinking ether (damage adds up depending on how fire you shot/hit the target) or a Simple Multiplier like 3.5X damage!

that way if you go up in your base on the bloodmoon, you can uses your sniper better to drop those heavy zombies like demolishers  

On 5/20/2021 at 3:44 PM, Adam the Waster said:

agreed 

and its not even with perks 

i don't really invest in those perks really but i can still drop a zombie about 90 blocks away with a TAR with a 4x4 scope!

personally what i would do is add a new ammo type JUST for snipers. the 7.76 would be for Ars and maybe something like 308 for snipers

that ammo does higher base damage then 7.76 and would make that ammo a less (jack of all trades ammo)

then the long shot buff. i was thinking ether (damage adds up depending on how fire you shot/hit the target) or a Simple Multiplier like 3.5X damage!

that way if you go up in your base on the bloodmoon, you can uses your sniper better to drop those heavy zombies like demolishers  

Or mix it : some sniper rifle use this same ammo as magnum , some of them this same as ak and m60 and some of them have unique ammo

that is true but in game right now. 44 is only uses for 2 guns. so...

idk ill have to think about it

Well in rl some revolvers use this same ammo type as huting rifles or  bolt action rifle so it can work in 7dtd just it need some balance 

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)