unloading unused assets freezes game

ozmods

first of all this is my first post here at this forum,

this is my mod list.

https://ibb.co/80K6bv3

every so often whether it's opening a container or using the R key to open the paint menu, the game will completely freeze for 20 secs or more, and the console shows the message unloading unused assets, and it's driving me to spare, any advice please on what could be causing it? thanks

1 hour ago, ozmods said:

first of all this is my first post here at this forum,

this is my mod list.

https://ibb.co/80K6bv3

every so often whether it's opening a container or using the R key to open the paint menu, the game will completely freeze for 20 secs or more, and the console shows the message unloading unused assets, and it's driving me to spare, any advice please on what could be causing it? thanks

You have undead legacy and the wasteland.  I don’t know if they are compatible, but I know when I was playing a game with lots of mods, I kept running into issues with the “bigger mods” that just had a lot of stuff in them.  I dont specifically know what mod is causing your issues, but I also had some “delay” when opening things (campfires, loot containers) in my “lots of mods” games as I guess with some or a lot of mods the game just has a lot more “things to calculate” to determine the loot drop because of a lot of extra content added. Or maybe some mods add a lot of group nesting and that has an effect to the loot drop calculation/work.

what I end up doing (to play a heavily modded game like this), was start a new game, and then perform the thing that breaks it, then start removing “likely candidates” until it goes away.  It’s kind of a pain, especially if you end up removing something like the wasteland that has a lot of great content. So you have to decide which mods you want to keep. Say removing the wasteland fixes it. Well, it’s because the wasteland and some other mod(s) are colliding. So you put the wasteland back and keep removing until you find removing some other mod(s) fixes it.  Then you have to decide what ones you’re going to remove. 

I do this “removal” in tests of 5-10 mods at a time, which makes it faster to narrow down.  Once you figure it out, then you have to determine how to remove those mods in your current game without causing issues.  I had one where I had to throw away items 

good luck !  Hopefully someone will post with some Better ideas as to which mod(s) it could be

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

1. As doughphunghus stated, you have two overhaul mods there. Overhauls don't work well together.

2. You simply have too many mods. This isn't Skyrim, this is an EA game still in development. A third of them most likely have conflicts. I would be curious to see a gameplay log when you're having the issue, but I'm pretty sure I already know what it is...

3. It's known that having too many recipes will cause the client to freeze up when opening inventory. I have not actually run into it with the R menu, but given the number of mods you have that affect that section of the game, I'm not surprised to see it here.

Easy fix, minimize your mod list to the basics.  Only keep what you can't live without. Then work out that they are actually compatible.

Hard fix, drill through each of the mods to see what can be compressed, combined, or eliminated due to compatibility issues.  Tip: load order matters with some mods. There is no "set standard" though like games like Skyrim or even Conan. It's basically knowing wat the mod does, and working them all out individually.