"XmlException: Name cannot begin with the ' ' character, hexadecimal value 0x0D. Line 6, position 51."

vergilsparda

Full pastebin log here!

What it says in the title, basically.

How to recreate, I guess?: Open up 7 days to die. Let it load to the main menu, try and hit "New Game" or "Continue Game", get blank menu with the text:

"XmlException: Name cannot begin with the ' ' character, hexadecimal value 0x0D. Line 6, position 51." 

No idea why this started happening—my game is a clean install, no mods, and I even verified the game integrity twice, uninstalled and reinstalled to make sure. The only thing I did was delete my old save, that's it. I've never had this issue previously and I'm really not quite sure what I did wrong. The character in question is completely blank, and in the debug console it shows up as if it were a double quotation mark, not two singles (", instead of ' '). 

This happens right after it loads in Steam Achievements, but I don't think that has anything to do with it, and it only happens on New or Continue Game. Join Game, Editing tools, Options, and Credits all show up with their respective submenus. 

A not-so-wild guess is that one of the xml files in your saves folder has a carriage return aka "return" where it does not belong.

Might be the file got corrupted when you tried to delete that old save.

For starters, you might want to navigate to C:\Users\<your_user>\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves and check for subfolders there.

The folders bear the names of the worlds the games got created in and, again, subfolders will bear the names of the actual save games.

You might recognize the name of the save you tried to delete. If so, move the folder bearing that name to a different location and check whether the behaviour is normal again.

If that does not help, you could proceed to move the other folders one by one, checking for New/Continue option after each.