Request: Accessibility Icons for HUD GUI

stubkan

I am so sick of getting jumped by birds or wild animals.  I never ever know when the airplane goes over.  I never know when theres a single zombie chewing away at my base.

Because I am deaf.  It's not really easy or fair .. so I want to make a simple and small mod that will add little GUI icons in a corner somewhere that indicates when I am aggroing a zombie (apparently the music changes?)  Or a pop up that comes up when the airplane is going over.  

It's apparently really easy to do a GUI mod, as there seem to be so many.  But I have no idea how to link it to a sound event at this point.  If someone starts one and adds one icon that is linked to a sound, I could reverse engineer the rest from that and finish it off, I think.

Does anyone want to help me out?

Have you saw this mod before?

It adds zombies to the compass, map, and has onscreen sprites as well. You can edit the min and max distances they show up to suit your taste. Might be a good starting point at least.

And about the drops, are you wanting something other than them being marked? You can turn that on in the normal settings. It put the drop icon on your compass as soon as it appears in the air. Not exactly when the plane appears, I guess, but you'll still see it.

I'm sure there are other ways you could do this, especially with some C#, but these are much simpler.

So I just saw your other post where you said them being on the compass and stuff is cheaty. I get what you mean by that as you can see exactly where they are.

One way I could see to do what you want with the zombies and animals is to give them a buff on spawn, with an AOE effect that when they are close enough to you, it gives you a buff that shows a status symbol. So you would know when they are within a certain distance, but not exactly where they are. Would that be closer to what you were looking for?

Okay, here's a quick little mod using the buff method. Will currently show all zeds and animals when they are within 25 blocks. Has a blinking orange icon, so it's easy to spot.

If you want to make changes, feel free. It should all be fairly easy to understand when you look at it. Any questions, just ask. It can be tweaked if necessary.

And about the plane, it is an entity as well, so it might be possible to do the same thing with it. It would just need a much larger AOE. I'm just not sure what the limits are on that, or if there would be any lag introduced by it.

zAlert.zip

Oh damn,

This sounds perfect.  I'm going to load it up and see how it works.  Perhaps I can use the code from that other mod you linked to as well to make a ranged alert icon that flashes bigger the closer a zombie is.

Thank you very much!

Another question, where would this sort of mod lie in regards to EAC...  I assume you can't use these sort of things on public servers protected by EAC?

But you can put HUD revamp mods on?

bdubyah, If I recall I thought when I first started playing there was a mod that used to show when there was a drop. It even gave the coordinates. Not sure how they did it though. I also thought it used to show in the console when there was a drop.

I played with both mods, and I think the zAlerts one is the clear winner.  It changes the game completely, no longer jumping so much from jumpscares.  I changed the radius to 10, so its a gentle ping alert when something is close to me and then I can look around to see where it's coming from!  It's amazing!

I'm going to try to change it so it only gives the buff from active roaming/tracking zombies and ignores the sleepers.

Also, is it possible to make it so the icon/buff can have multiple states - and the icon size/colour can reflect that?  Ie, a small orange for a zombie 15 blocks away, growing in size and becoming redder and bigger as it gets closer, maybe maxes at 5 range...

I'll try to dig through the xmls and see if I can figure out how that can be done, but if you have an idea how, feel free to tell me!

Thank you very much for making this

Archived