Reroll Save System?

PseyechoSamurai

You posted in the console section, but your bug report is about the PC version. So I moved your thread over to the PC section.

Yes, I think there could be improvements to the save system to make it more robust. Probably TFP has to invest some time into this eventually as it isn't release-worthy in my opinion.

Still, while the game is in EA, you should expect such issues. Just make regular backups of the save game.

As a 5yr Ark server admin the save system is far from perfect. The way it works is this. The current save is saved once every 15min. Then, once every 2hrs 10min it renames the save and starts a new one five min later. This means that, should your save get corrupted, you can lose two hours of work. Better than everything, but still not the best. Currently there is no way to change this setup.

Due to this I wrote a small C++ app which monitors the Ark save directory and when a file is modified (player profile, tribe profile, or the save itself) the modified file is instantly backed up. This allows me to roll back, at MOST, 15min at a time. Far better than the built-in setup.

I run my 7 Days server from a batch file which backs up at server startup. I have not monitored the save while playing. Is it saved every X minutes also? If so I can very likely make my Ark backup app run with 7 Days.

8 hours ago, meganoth said:

You posted in the console section, but your bug report is about the PC version. So I moved your thread over to the PC section.

Yes, I think there could be improvements to the save system to make it more robust. Probably TFP has to invest some time into this eventually as it isn't release-worthy in my opinion.

Still, while the game is in EA, you should expect such issues. Just make regular backups of the save game.

sorry about the the wrong section

I was on a long game session when my little problem occurred though even if i made copies every time i got off i wouldve lost around 4 hours of progress

7 hours ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

As a 5yr Ark server admin the save system is far from perfect. The way it works is this. The current save is saved once every 15min. Then, once every 2hrs 10min it renames the save and starts a new one five min later. This means that, should your save get corrupted, you can lose two hours of work. Better than everything, but still not the best. Currently there is no way to change this setup.

Due to this I wrote a small C++ app which monitors the Ark save directory and when a file is modified (player profile, tribe profile, or the save itself) the modified file is instantly backed up. This allows me to roll back, at MOST, 15min at a time. Far better than the built-in setup.

I run my 7 Days server from a batch file which backs up at server startup. I have not monitored the save while playing. Is it saved every X minutes also? If so I can very likely make my Ark backup app run with 7 Days.

I know arks save system isnt the best but I feel like it is still pretty good imo but definitely could use improvements

Archived