Questions about some perk books.

Sjustus548

I was looking thru the perk books and had a few questions come up that I'm hoping someone could help me with.  First off I'll start with a critique I have about the books.  I would like to see buffs show up under Status Effects section of the  character screen if you meet the requirements for a book you've read.  Such as taking 5% less damage while wearing a firefighter's helmet.  It would be really nice to know what I'm getting a benefit from.  They don't need to show up on screen like other buffs and debuffs but having them show up somewhere would be really helpful.  

1.  Books such as Bar Brawling book 3 "Killer Instinct: Gain 5% damage with each kill, up to 15%.  After 10 seconds without killing anything it downgrades one level." does that buff only effect kills with knuckles?  I'm guessing it probably does but it would be nice if they added in "with knuckles" to those to signify that a little more clearly if so.  A lot of the other books will say "with Bladed weapons" or "with Clubs" and some of the other bar brawling books say "with every punch" so the fact that this one doesn't makes me wonder what all it works with.  

2. Magnum Enforcer book 2 "Apparel: These 29 dollar suits look good and help reduce incoming damage.  Take 5% less damage when wearing a suit."  How much of the suit is required to get that 5% reduction?  Is it just the jacket or jacket, pants, and dress shoes?  If it's just the suit and pants that would be great but it's not worth it with the dress shoes as well.  

3.  Can you find a Firefighter's Helmet as loot or is it only possible to craft a Tier 5 version?  That 5% reduction in damage is really nice but not sure if it would be better than a Tier 6 Steel Helmet with 4 mods.  I'm also wondering about the Military Stealth Boots.  

26 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

1.  Books such as Bar Brawling book 3 "Killer Instinct: Gain 5% damage with each kill, up to 15%.  After 10 seconds without killing anything it downgrades one level." does that buff only effect kills with knuckles?  I'm guessing it probably does but it would be nice if they added in "with knuckles" to those to signify that a little more clearly if so.  A lot of the other books will say "with Bladed weapons" or "with Clubs" and some of the other bar brawling books say "with every punch" so the fact that this one doesn't makes me wonder what all it works with.  

Yes, I believe the buffs from books are only tied to their respective weapons.

But I had the same doubt last night: a friend was asking me about a couple of books that dont have specifics written on them. Like theres a batter up book (vol 4) that reads "Power attacks increase chance of knock down". He's a sledgehammer user and we dont know if its only club-related as the book series or to any kind of power attack. Because, then again, there's books that affect everything despite the weapon of choice (like never encumbered at night).

So I'd like a little more input on that as well.

34 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

2. Magnum Enforcer book 2 "Apparel: These 29 dollar suits look good and help reduce incoming damage.  Take 5% less damage when wearing a suit."  How much of the suit is required to get that 5% reduction?  Is it just the jacket or jacket, pants, and dress shoes?  If it's just the suit and pants that would be great but it's not worth it with the dress shoes as well.  

AFAIK, it's just the jacket. But it seems it could also work for only the pants. All I know for sure, is that you dont need to wear more than one and the buff doesnt stack if you do.

36 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

3.  Can you find a Firefighter's Helmet as loot or is it only possible to craft a Tier 5 version? 

They are only craftable, just like the Fireman Axe Mod and military STEALTH boots. Hence why they will only go as far as quality 5.

And as for

37 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

That 5% reduction in damage is really nice but not sure if it would be better than a Tier 6 Steel Helmet with 4 mods.  I'm also wondering about the Military Stealth Boots.  

When it comes to damage reduction, I think a Q6 steel helmet would be better. Because I think they are overall better on standard stats compared to a firefighter. I never did the comparison myself, but purely statswise, I believe a Q5 steel helmet would have better stats than a Q5 firefighter one - tho I'm not completely sure.

But a Q6 steel helmet will definitely have better stats and would allow for an extra mod, which usually is worth by itself.

Yet when it comes to actual damage mitigation, IF they dont go even, the Q6 steel helmet would probably lose by a fairly small difference... but the extra slot could actually turn the tide for it.

23 minutes ago, th3s0n1c said:

AFAIK, it's just the jacket. But it seems it could also work for only the pants. All I know for sure, is that you dont need to wear more than one and the buff doesnt stack if you do.

You appear to need both.   Looking through the XML, the suit and pants each provide 2.5%

<passive_effect name="HealthLoss" operation="perc_add" value="-.025">
	<requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkEnforcerApparel" operation="Equals" value="1"/>
</passive_effect>

6 minutes ago, Kalen said:

You appear to need both.   Looking through the XML, the suit and pants each provide 2.5%

<passive_effect name="HealthLoss" operation="perc_add" value="-.025">
	<requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkEnforcerApparel" operation="Equals" value="1"/>
</passive_effect>

Saw someone talking about it a while ago.. I guess it was changed, then.

Archived