Server to Server Character Transfering, via Trader Joels Mass Transit

KotCP

A way to link servers from a main server or a main hosting server, that links to other servers, so you can have larger player populations within a community, while allowing for a more stable gaming experience, on top of being able to deliver multiple game mods and difficulties, where you can have both your PvE and PvP, as well as, variable difficulties without sacrificing or forcing something on someone.  Also supports ability to send player to Lobby/host server if one of the gaming servers crash.

Could have 3 forms of mass transit that could be at different Trader Joels locations.

A stair well to a subway

A double doors to a Bus Station

A latter to a Heliport pad

Could mix and match having 1 or more of those, randomly generated for each Trader location, even keep things mixed up where even the same style Trader location might have a different mix of Mass Transit stations, just to keep things spiced up.

Sometimes there are good servers with good admins that have to limit how many players are on it, far below the amount of people who want to join it.

The problem causing this might be an issue with the Hardware the server is on.  The Hardware the server is on might be one of those cloud servers that do renting services.

In the case of rented cloud servers having limited hardware, the only work around for someone trying to provide a dedicated 7D2D server, threw the cloud service is to rent another server.

Another possibility exist where the host is running it off their own hardware and simply decides to buy and extra computer for an additional server.

As things are now, neither a Direct Host nor a rented server has anyway to connect more then 1 game to each other.

Doing things like offering multiple play styles within a server group or offering more player slots by having separate maps on different servers yet still connected with each other, isn't possible.

if the servers are all controlled by a single host then you could just copy/cut the player files from one server to the next, an ingame means of doing so sounds like it would take alot of effort to bridge 2 servers, and then safely move character files from one to the other.

Regarding: The Subway

I had been thinking that if the coordinates of highways were always the same at the map edge then the highways could provide a nice in-game mechanism for changing maps. One trouble with having a mechanism other than a map edge is it makes for something to camp/ambush in PvP.

2 hours ago, Noxulous said:

if the servers are all controlled by a single host then you could just copy/cut the player files from one server to the next, an ingame means of doing so sounds like it would take alot of effort to bridge 2 servers, and then safely move character files from one to the other.

I've experimented with this manual approach as my group has talked about changing maps every month.

When you copy over the character, you land at the X/Y location you were in the previous map. (The game seems to take care of height differences.) If you want everyone to arrive on the West side of the new map, you have to have everyone go to the West side of the current map.

You also retain all the marks you made on your map. Those are easy enough for each player to delete.

I've not checked on the status of open quests. I suspect they're easy for a player to delete.

The player's inventory does transfer over without issue. If you want to take a vehicle, you'll have to put it into your inventory which I think means you have to empty the vehicle's inventory.

EDIT - The forum appears to have merged two different posts together.

with the right editing prowess you can easily edit the x/y coords of each player save, i've tinkered with this some just for fun, and you can even find exact coords for buried treasure in that same file (provided of course that you read a treasure map before you opened the save)

I was hoping to avoid mentioning Minecraft...

but...

Minecraft did it!  And a lot of their player base seems to like the ability.

I was hoping to deliver a way to do something similar without having to say where I got the idea, since The Fun Pimps doesn't want to be a minecraft clone.

But you wanted to use the "it would be hard to program" excuse, so now, "PROOF OF CONCEPT!" Someone else already made it work on another game with similar enough mechanics.

If the difficulty of doing such a thing was going to be any real issue, NO GAME WOULD EXIST EVER!

Archived