Alpha 19 Feedback

Hellsmoke

So I decided to try alpha 19 and wanted to give my first impressions of what I saw playing up until day 24. 

The good:

1. The new sky and atmosphere look and feel great, I really like it. 

2. The current loot system felt good although I was skeptical at first but there's a catch, I played with 300% xp and I grinded zombies. Grinding zombies non stop is no better than spamming stone axes imo. Playing on normal xp settings must be awful but it was okay with 300% xp as progression felt much slower than in previous versions but not too slow. 

3. I like the candy, it adds things to buy and do to the game. Kinda wish we'd find them in trash and so. 

4. The new stores look amazing, love them. 

5. The new hunting knife looks awesome!

6. Zombies are looking awesome although not a fan of the face on the janitor and the construction worker. Also, Arlene has shoulders like a linebacker lol but other than that they look great.

The bad: 

The new concrete texture looks terrible imo, liked the clean look.

The new machete texture looks terrible, I ended up sticking with the hunting knife even though it's much weaker.  

The bulletproof glass looks awful, please change it back.

No large animals to be found, very rare.

These are the things that stuck with me after playing a bit. I got to the point where I was situated and getting ready to start building something but the bulletproof glass kinda killed it for me. Looks matter to me in games, especially building games and a lot of people come to this game to build. The poi's all look great all beat up and used but that's not what most people want to build. Like Kicks said "if I want beat up and broken I can just move in to a poi and leave it as is". I agree, we need some clean textures please so we can build nice things and maybe some options for weapons too.

They might give us clean building textures down the line but for now we only get what they are using to create all the prefabs and like Kicks said...existing structures built by the dev team are going to look beat up and broken and since they have no use for anything else for the setting they are creating, we don’t get anything else. 

Also, playing on normal xp settings is just fine for those who enjoy the early game. For those who see the early game as a chore to get past ASAP then what you’re doing is exactly what you should be doing. You could also use the giveselfxp command to start out your game at level 15 to more quickly bypass the start without feeling like you have to spam kill zombies. 

Archived