Linux performance

ungkor

I just ordered a new laptop, pretty much just to play 7d2d on higher settings.

I'm debating installing windows vs linux on it.  

The graphics card is an nvidia gtx 1660 ti.  Does 7d2d perform well on linux (debian/ubuntu).   Are updates smooth?   

Thanks

I play 7 Days to die on Linux.

The specifications of my PC are:

Core i5 7500 3.4 GHz
32 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Normally I have between 50 and 60 FPS. But not on highest graphic settings. For example, I have disabled the shadows and reflections because they have a high impact on performance but texture quality is on maximum. I have set the horde to 32 zombies at the same time and I can't see any drop in performance.

For the updates and such general "linux related tinkering", 7dtd works pretty much flawlessly. There are some linux-specific issues occasionally, like the dynamic music system was broken for a while and the mousewheel scrolling is backwards atm. I haven't run into anything game breaking though.

I run a RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 2600, and 16 gigs of memory, generally fine on any settings, but when the game loads in a couple dozen horde zeds while hosting a friend, I get frames in the 20s. I'm considering getting some more memory since I'm above 12 gig used just from starting the game essentially with a browser open. It doesn't seem to be a real problem, but I can't run any of the bigger overhaul mods.

Archived