Alpha 18.4 How to create and specify correct ~.unity3D files for objects and vehicles?

I've been getting into modding and everything has seemed relatively straightforward when it comes to adding icons or specifying vanilla textures for custom items, but I can't figure out nor find a guide on how to made or get unity3d files for things like vehicles or items. I'm very new to using Unity, and for one don't know how to export 3D models as unity3d files and I also can't seem to find any websites that offer free already made 3d vehicles or items already available as a unity3d file. On top of that, I don't really know how exactly to specify to use that unity3d file inside the xml. For the most part, I've been looking at how other mods specify it, but they basically all have the file name, such as "BRDM1.unity3d?BRDM2.prefab" with that question mark that I don't really understand.

I feel like I'm asking for a lot in terms of help, but regardless any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Wrong forum ...

You may want to start with this ...

It will help you understand what is required ... once you know how to export a block you are halfway there ...

Generally for vehicle you need to import either fbx or obj models into unity ... then using Xyth's multiplatform script you can export into unity.3d files .

This is based on unity 2018 but principles are the same

Hope this helps

Ragsy !!

Edited by Ragsy 2145
more info (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Ragsy 2145 said:

Wrong forum ...

You may want to start with this ...

It will help you understand what is required ... once you know how to export a block you are halfway there ...

Generally for vehicle you need to import either fbx or obj models into unity ... then using Xyth's multiplatform script you can export into unity.3d files .

This is based on unity 2018 but principles are the same

Hope this helps

Ragsy !!

I'll give that a look and see if I can follow it! Also, I'm clearly new to this forum lol so for future reference which forum would I post things like this in? Thanks!

• 10 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 7:41 PM, DragonsReaper said:

specifying vanilla textures for custom items

Apologies for resurrecting this older post.  But you said you were able to apply vanilla textures to new objects?  How have you been able to do that?

I am trying to create a new block, Corner Bars, to go with the iron bars but I have not been able to determine how to apply the iron bars texture to my new block. I can create a custom texture and apply it and it appears in game, but I cannot make it use the iron bars texture.  

Any hints?