'Calling Animator.GotoState on Synchronize layer' causing game hitching and lag

LegioLunae

Hia, I've been a long-time player of this game since A17, and this has been a consistent issue for me ever since I started playing. Stopped playing for a long while because of this issue, (finally got fed up after reading and trying a lot of solutions online and none working), and after coming back and playing again, and begrudgingly tolerating it since A18 dropped, I decided to see if I can get some help and hear it right from the horse's mouth what this issue may be and how to fix it. Reading around online, I also have noticed this is an issue for other players too, so this isn't just an isolated case for me alone.

Every time I play, at seemingly random times after playing for a few minutes, the game will completely freeze to 0 FPS for anywhere from 1 to 30 seconds, then comes back, and freezes or severely slows again for a few seconds after, before it goes back to normal FPS. This usually happens when I get more into a game and start changing stuff (breaking blocks, harvesting trees, building stuff, exploring more of the map, etc.), but can even start happening on day one of a new game. It generally happens when I'm doing an action, whether killing an enemy and making its head explode or knocking it down, looting something, opening a menu, or even just simply walking around sometimes. It seems to be even more prevalent when I'm playing on servers, too.

Possibly related, the startup (when the screen is fading in) also takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds, with extremely low or zero framerate for up to 10 seconds after the fading in ends, as well as with looking around or any action, generally on later days in the game. Not sure if that's normal, but don't think so.

I've tried basically all the suggestions I've found online, from disabling all mods, disabling EAC, changing my graphics settings to lowest possible (all lowest possible settings, and 800x600 resolution) or simply defaulting them, making a new player profile and deleting the old one, completely deleting all 7-Days related files and the registry entry for the game and installing fresh, limiting RAM usage, and none of that changed anything. My computer is within the required specs, so it's not a matter of hardware either.

Doing some light debugging, I looked at the console after every freeze and noticed something: a yellow error 'Calling Animator.GotoState on Synchronize layer' happened after EVERY freeze, so it HAS to be related. I've also included a pastebin link with my log file with all my computer info and such below. Please get back to me with any info or possible fixes.

Thanks,

Legio

https://pastebin.com/eExs4BiX

The pauses could be some other process running on your computer, or swapping out memory.

Your memory use seems high at 6.5 GB. My game uses about 4.5 GB on medium settings.

Monitor your system ram use, while playing the game, with Task Manager or another app. like

hwinfo. If it's greater than 8 GB, you're swapping memory to your hard disk, which would explain

the pauses.

Some of your mods are not compatible with A19

Post a log where you have removed the mods and lowered your graphics settings.

Try a new 4k world.

Doing some playing on the 4k world w/out mods, and seems to be working pretty well, even on high graphics, though I'm not gonna conclusively say it's the fix until later days when I've changed the world more. 

Don't know why an 8k world would require so much more RAM, given (I think) it's just rendering what you see. But, thanks for the help you two. Guess I was overestimating my PC's abilities in this game.

Also, I also know my hardware's not the best, but the GPU isn't an issue, it would seem, since it's never at or near 100% while playing and I get a playable framerate (not 60, but playable). Highest I ever saw it get was 68% for all cores on the 4k world. 

7days is by far the most RAM-intensive game I own, and is the only game I have ever had my 8GB RAM bottleneck me on. RAM was still in the upper 7GB (generally hovered around 7.7-7.8GB, according to Afterburner) in the 4k world, but only had one brief little hiccup in the first day. Smooth since, except the 'normal' framedrops when loading new buildings and such.

Guess playing on 8k or 16k servers are off the table until I get more RAM...

Gonna test if the outdated mods are an issue next, but I don't think they were.

Nice! glad it's working for you. I think a ram upgrade would enable you to play on the larger maps.

There's plenty of A19 mods already out there, you probably don't need to use your outdated ones.

Just find a new one that does the same thing.

On my 8GB testing machine, I have to shut down all other apps to play. (like Firefox, Discord... etc.)

6 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

Nice! glad it's working for you. I think a ram upgrade would enable you to play on the larger maps.

There's plenty of A19 mods already out there, you probably don't need to use your outdated ones.

Just find a new one that does the same thing.

On my 8GB testing machine, I have to shut down all other apps to play. (like Firefox, Discord... etc.)

Thanks. I have to close all non-essential programs anyways, else it's literally unplayable from all the freezes.

Don't know if there are any updated mods for those I use and, again, doubt they're a problem.

I have 16gb of ram and I get freezes/lockups ever since this update. (.173) Only thing I've noticed is that is usually when it is either generating the world, using the editing tools to generate a preview, or entering an unexplored area.  I'm not a programmer, so I can't say as to why.  I'm just relaying the information. As far as amount of ram, this game hasn't started with out using 6gb+ of ram. It then just climbs. (especially if I open console, use DM, and then jump around)  I'm guaranteed a lockup after a bit then. 

Still a great game, great developer, etc., but .173 has issues for some of us for some reason.  -shrug-  That's why they call it alpha and experimental.  ;)

Archived