Admin God Mode Flying Speed (for cinematic camera)

So I figured out that you can slow yourself down in admin mode. In the UI menu there are 2 commands, Increase God Speed and Decrease God Speed. This can slow you down a lot when walking or when flying up and down. It doesn't however slow the flying forward, backward, left or right. This seems very odd. This has to be an oversight right? Why would you fly up and down more slowly, but not in the other directions?

I've been shooting some videos and while I don't have it completely figured out and I did have problems with it to start, it seems now that using Shift with these keys does the trick for the detached camera, in all axes:

image.png.509934f249d82309270744f9d2a1e1be.png

Numpad +/- do not work.

That is bizarre, it works for me in all axes, as I said. Up, down, sideways, forward & back. Works perfectly.

For what it is worth, I remapped the God mode keys to PgUp and PgDn at one point, and I don't remember mapping them back to -/=, but my game shows them back to -/=. Maybe doing that knocked something loose? Anyway it now works. See the attached video.

You are using the detached camera, right? Not just flying around in God Mode, but detached from your character (F5, P, [)?

I see. Well in normal God mode, I get the same behavior as you do. Adjustments work for up/down, but not the other axes. It is why I use the detached camera for cinematic shots. I watched one of Neebs' A19 videos and they also appear to be using the detached camera. When the guys are walking at the start the guy pictured below is "searching" a car and not moving while the flying camera pans forward. After the cut, the camera is sitting right behind his shoulder and following his movement/turns exactly. My guess is that it is this character's camera used for the entire video, sometimes detached and free, sometimes detached and tracking the player, or just in 3rd-person view.

It's a clever use of the camera, but it does not require an extra account.

image.png.d12ae2c05785de5861c8590b5e1c801f.pngimage.png.77c5c5dd718bc4770ce4827a490b0eca.png

Ahhh, I see what you mean! I was missing the [ to detach the camera. I can also go invisible so I don't see the character and fly the camera anywhere I want. Now I can do nice slow dolly shots while my other account runs around in the scene.

Still weird that we can't do this in admin fly mode.

Thanks again for your help!

I agree that the speed controls should work the same for normal god mode as they do when the camera is detached. I assume it's a bug since the controls are labeled "God mode". Glad you were able to do what you needed!

The only limitation I still struggle with is the detach camera mode doesn't work when the character is in a vehicle. Or at least I haven't been able to solve it yet. For this shot I'm actually just standing next to the bicycle and from a distance it looks good enough for the stupid meme I was making. But doing any sort of cinematic shot of me riding or driving by is so far impossible.

image.png.40165461cc00b1ff2f6cddf408a465e9.png

That video is more about the game timer, not the camera speed. I hesitate very much to say this, and I fear for a karmic blowback, but I think Vedui was a little confused at about 1:30, referring to the God speed and Shift-= and Shift-<minus>. He says that on his keyboard it is the numpad +/-, but what that actually controls is the game clock which just slows everything down (as he shows).

From what I can tell:

"God Speed" = Shift+= and Shift+<minus> (next to backspace) = camera speed (and really it's only working properly for the detached camera)

"game timer speed" = NumPad +/- = slows down all game operations AKA "slows down time"

You can get some slow cinematic tracking shots using the game timer, but since everything else slows down also it's not too useful for recording videos of normal game play (like the Neebs' Gaming video). For that you need the God Speed controls and the detached camera.

Archived