Where do I start?

Mordizer

Hi folks, I'm a long time fan of the game and I'm interested in starting to play around with creating mods but I don't really know where to start.  What tools and skills do I need, is there a "beginners guide" or anything?  I'd heard that A19 had increased the support for modding so I'm interested in giving it a whirl.   All I'm really after is what is the first step?  I've had a look at some of Xynth's mods in Github and I understand to a large part what's going on with the XML  but I can see Unity3d assets in there and I'm not sure where they fit into the picture.  Where do I look for help?  Youtube, a wiki or in here?  I have a basic grasp of Unity and I know .Net and XML well enough but are they the right tools?

Just wondering how to take that first step really so I can start mucking about :)

Edit: For starters it looks like I started one level too far down in the forum navigation.

Thanks Stallionsden, I realised just after I posted this that google had brought me in to the mods forum but there was actually a higher up navigation level for Game Modifications and had a "Where to start" section which was really what I was looking for but I appreciate the response.  What I was interested in was creating some new content for the electrical system like AND, OR and NOT gates and maybe some lights with adjustable brightness and a control panel so you could fine tune the behaviour of the machinery a bit.  I'm guessing that sits somewhere in the code though rather than XML config files.  Anyway, I found the starting point so I'll go and do some research - thanks  :)

Archived