Weapon audio needs some love and fixing (MP)

RyanX

I only play on multiplayer servers, PvE and PvP and noticed that the audio to several things are quite messed up.  If anyone shoots a blunderbus within audio range, it sounds like a massive explosion no matter how far away you are.  You also can't tell which direction it's coming from.  Same with silencers...anyone shooting near or at you does not reveal the direction it's coming from, just a generic sound with no direction.  Wrenches could be heard at like 150 meters last alpha, haven't retested that yet.  TFP might want to consider going through the audio from a co-op/multiplayer perspective.  I know PvP is not high on their list, but these audio issues are simple fixes that apply to any multiplayer server.

I don't have a problem with the boom...but when I am around other players, especially in PvP, I should at least be able to tell the direction it's coming from, and if it's 30 blocks away it shouldn't sound like it's right next to my ear,

TBH I think many audio effects need a once-over volume wise / normalization between different sfx.
Some sfx are extremely loud for what they are supposed to represent. For example, igniting a pipe bomb.

And yep, there seems to be problems with directional sound and distance in MP.
I also wish audio occlusion was a thing when there's solid matter between you and the audio source. If I'm inside a concrete bunker and a zombie goes urggh on the other side, it shouldn't sound like it's throwing up in my ear.

14 minutes ago, Nugetti said:

TBH I think many audio effects need a once-over volume wise / normalization between different sfx.
Some sfx are extremely loud for what they are supposed to represent. For example, igniting a pipe bomb.

And yep, there seems to be problems with directional sound and distance in MP.
I also wish audio occlusion was a thing when there's solid matter between you and the audio source. If I'm inside a concrete bunker and a zombie goes urggh on the other side, it shouldn't sound like it's throwing up in my ear.

Not only that, but you shouldn't be able to hear it walking way up on the surface while you are underground.

Generally speaking, I don't understand why these simple QoL things that break immersion are not high on their list.  It's like a"feature" race to see how many new things they can add and those simple fixes that make large differences in the game experience are ignored.

Archived