Simple Fishing/canning for a later alpha?

Toybox372

Couple of ideas for TFP to consider

First off would be simple fishing.(it would be much like mine crafts fishing) wait for a bobber to go into water hit the action key and a fish goes into your inventory. 

I would like to also touch on how I think this could be balanced. Early game you would be able to make a wooden rod that has a high chance of breaking upon catching a fish or junk. Around 50 or 70% as it is early game you can't give easy food out. Next would be an iron rod that has a higher chance for fish and a 40 or less % chance at breaking . Lastly would be fiberglass rod made from military fiber and glass in the forge or something . High chance of fish low chance of breaking.

Now my other way might be a lot more work and TFP have a lot of there plate but it would require fish AI and spawns...you would have a fish AI that had hit points so you could use a spear or bow hunt from a dock or shore line. Once dead you harvest it or possible just pick up and scrap it for meat and bones. Witch every way is easiest to code in.

Now for the main reason I think fishing would be a great content update later on...The  canner it's either a replacement for the beaker in the fire place or it's own work station it makes canned food, this would be late game like the crucible for the forge. You could craft canned salmon and sham for high tier food options. This crafting would require empty can,paper,meat,glue. Meat could be changed for water and veggies for miso and other canned goods. As we all know canned food is really good and other then quest and buried treasure its kinda hard to find so late game crafting would be a nice touch. 

• 3 weeks later...

I too have have thought about fishing being something that could be added to the game. Perhaps a randomly spawned animal in lakes/ponds.

Fishing pole is just another tool. give it a longer range like say the shovel has vs pick axe (a bit longer of course). Swing pole at fish, delay a few seconds, catch a random tier fish (tuna and salmon come to mind for in game consistency), a boot, a can, tire, wood, nothing etc., (RNG based on game stage).  I like the chance for the pole to break option you mentioned as well. Make drinking beer or coffee, or both something that improves/decreases your success. :)

I think the fishing would be unrealistic given the zombie apocalypse / fish would probably be infected. However, wouldn't it be interesting if when you first started things were a little..better? As time goes on there is some building destruction, zombies become a bit more grotesque, animals start spawning a little less frequently or are zombie variants only. I think it would be really fun if this type of thing happened. It could even be that in the beginning fish were still healthy, at least for the most part, and over time they become infected and fishing is a little more dangerous or you have to go to certain measures to safely use the meat. Iunno man it's all fiction so it's unrealistic but it would be cool either way.

Yeah, a bit harder to code but I have thought about that as well, perhaps 7DtD: The Prequel (cause prequel movies are such a rage now days). How about a completely new game or as a difficulty setting, (7 Days to Live), lots of people are playing from the one life perspective (you die, start a new game).  You start out going shopping for food or whatever you want and it happens, some NPC randomly turns into a zombie and attacks you and the rest is history. Choose wisely, food, drink, weapons or cars. lol

7 minutes ago, Toybox372 said:

I kinda agree with the infected fish thing but the fact that theres animals that are not infected makes fishing possible idk if you have ever tried to get a fish with your hands but there pretty quick :p

I have caught fish by hand, grew up in the country, catching minnows and crawfish/crayfish depending on where you're from, small mud cats (yellow cats when they grow up a bit), etc. I almost responded about the normal animals in the game, chickens, deer, bears, wolves, etc. All of them could become infected over time as well, making an eventual end game.

Archived