Dysentery and Food Poisoning.

Moisan4

If you take the time to boil your water you shouldn't get dysentery.  Same goes for cooking food, and getting food poisoning. Plus, these percentages don't seem to translate to the game. 3% seems to happen way more frequently than 1 in 33 chance.

Boiling contaminated water is much safer than not doing so, as it does kill parasites and bacteria, but not all. And contaminants such as heavy metals, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, some poisons, and insecticides, are not removed through boiling water.

Anything producing meat has to drink water, so the same applies as above.

Grouping it all into "dysentery" could just be an easy way to have a catch all name instead of wasting time coming up with a name for every ailment.

It does feel like the percentage chance of getting dysentery is higher than the listed percentage to me also. But I'm not really convinced it's not confirmation bias on my part as I don't tend to count how many times I eat verses how many times I've become sick.

2 hours ago, Moisan4 said:

If you take the time to boil your water you shouldn't get dysentery.  Same goes for cooking food, and getting food poisoning. Plus, these percentages don't seem to translate to the game. 3% seems to happen way more frequently than 1 in 33 chance.

Just boiling water doesn't make it safe all over. Otherwise you would have found a solution for one of the biggest problems in the world.

Also every food has a general chance to make you sick.

In case of water you can craft "mineral water", that is afaik completely free of all risks, but a lot costier in crafting.

The food poisoning mechanic was changed (or even removed?) in A19. Additionally you could already lower the risk by skilling iron gut in A18.

6 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Just boiling water doesn't make it safe all over. Otherwise you would have found a solution for one of the biggest problems in the world.

Also every food has a general chance to make you sick.

In case of water you can craft "mineral water", that is afaik completely free of all risks, but a lot costier in crafting.

The food poisoning mechanic was changed (or even removed?) in A19. Additionally you could already lower the risk by skilling iron gut in A18.

or even easier than making mineral water is making tea. Red tea specifically IRC as goldenrod can be used for something (reduces dysentary?). Been a few months since I played but we always used grew and used chrysanthemum asap for water. The recipe is fairly common in the buried treasure and either level 1 or 2 cooking irc.

Archived