Enhanced Horror

ricoben3

I was thinking of ways to increase the horror, too often I find myself just running through without a care in the world. In PUBG, a shrub in the distance looks like a person, this always kept me on edge. This kind of spawned an idea in my head... something like a paranoia mechanic. Something that would work to catch you off guard with a cheeky specifically shaped shadow or light flicker that makes the peripheral look like a zombie. More noises that appear to be zombies but are actually environment related. Say you whip the mouse over too fast and for a frame of it, a blurry zombie shape happens. This cant happen all the time or else it will be boring. I imagine that it would be something subtle and not overblown that would keep players on their toes. This game does a great job giving me a good scare occasionally, I was wondering what could be done to keep it going throughout the game stages. Say its ability to happen occurs due to your activities in the game like Don't Starve Together where if you dont pick flowers, you lose sanity and monsters appear around you. I don't know what the analogous mechanic would be for 7 days, but something to influence how often it happens or the intensity that it happens. Say if you are too crazy, while these hallucinations happen, a wandering horde spawns and you have to distinguish if its real or fake by killing. What do y'all think of this idea?

Imho that style of psy@%$*#!gical horror doesn't fit to the game. And i personally don't like this kind of horror anyway.

It also would not work in 7d2d, because zombies are slow. If i see a halucination 100m away, i woudln't even care for it, because no matter if it was a halucination or a real zombie, a zombie that is 100m away doesn't need my attention anyway.

Aynway, getting halucinations as an event, or maybe part of later stage of infection might be a nice idea.

More frequent spawning wandering hordes with better pathing to the player would be welcome. I mean real hordes, not just imaginations. But i absolutely dislike spawning a wangering horde directly around the player. It's so anoying if you see zombies spawning out of nowhere directly in front of you. But it could be done like bloodmoon. They spawn everywhere around you in a certain distance and all of them run to the player.

wow, the forum zensores "c h o l o"? lol

Well, the shrub in the distance was more of what kinda kicked off the idea rather than something id want to see in the game. I think this game should be scary to play. You are in an environment that is set out to pretty much just kill you. Crafting, building, and interacting with the trader would keep you grounded. Scavenging and looting would make you paranoid. It should start off subtle with like soft foot steps or moans, then you should hallucinate full zombies, but ones that are like... clearly hallucinations... to ones that arent hallucinations. I imagine that it would essentially expand your heat map surrounding your character and your hallucinations would not be discernable from the actual zombies. Like I said, it isnt a fully fleshed out idea, but its something that I think is missing after you play for 3 hours of the game. 

Archived