Quest Mod Discussion and Poll

Telric

Quest Mods  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be more inclined to play a single player quest mod that changes the world's POIs around you permanently as it progresses or play a multiplayer mod where quest objectives require being reset for others to complete their quests.

• Single player, story driven world that changes based on quest objectives
    • Multiplayer, each player's personal quests will reset POIs to default states in order to receive credit
    • None, I dont want a quest based mod.

Hello all! I'm currently brainstorming some ideas for what I want to do in A19 when it comes time to mod. I'm thinking i want to do a large scale quest system that has player going from specific POI to other POIs. If you ever tried the Summerset mod I did a while back, it would be something along those lines, but instead of all one POI, each NPC would have their own POI. Players could complete quests for the farm owner and eventually that NPC would send the player to the fishing shack to do quests there. The only thing is, this mod would need to be developed completely differently depending on the player playing single player or multiplayer.

This mod could go two different ways. Since the quest system (atleast in a18) is a bit limited in multiplayer objectives that count for the entire party, one way the mod could go is single player based. This would mean I would be able to allow parts or all of a POI to change based on what quests the player is doing. For example, say a POI needs you to complete it and save an NPC at the end. If it was single player, I could make that NPC move to a new location besides where you saved them, to simulate the NPC actually being saved. This would only work in a single player environment though, as other players that havent saved the NPC would then see that NPC in the wrong area.

The second way the mod would go is everything has to be reset for multiplayer. A quest might tell you to upgrade a certain block into a defense block, but then that would have to be downgraded for another player to be able to complete the quest as well. This would mean POIs would require a quest rally marker in order to be reset. POIs the player can't complete in one go through might end up being reset if another player comes by and starts their quest.

Of course the third way this could go is this is all a waste of time. If you're not interested in playing a quest based mod, choose that option. It would be good for me to see if there is an interest at all in this kind of mod or not. So let me know what you think!

Hi telric, I love quest mods so I'm glad your getting ready to make one.  I voted for SP. 

Even though the quest mod might move npcs and players wont get to do that quest, I think that can still be fine for coop games as it would feel like the world is progressing.

Can u link me to your summer set mod?  I dont think ive ever seen it.

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/11511-summerset-villa-rp-mod

It used to be a poi that you went to. Had all these npcs in it that gave different themed quests. I haven't looked at it for a while so idk if it works in a18 or not. This new mod would be many pois that are themed to the npcs there.

The new pois would be more like my magisters mansion mod if you've done that one. A main quest with story and leads you through the place and then a few side quests that give smaller rewards.

On 5/30/2020 at 7:37 AM, Telric said:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/11511-summerset-villa-rp-mod

It used to be a poi that you went to. Had all these npcs in it that gave different themed quests. I haven't looked at it for a while so idk if it works in a18 or not. This new mod would be many pois that are themed to the npcs there.

The new pois would be more like my magisters mansion mod if you've done that one. A main quest with story and leads you through the place and then a few side quests that give smaller rewards.

Wow Telric, those are some nice looking assets.  Looks like something out of Final Fantasy /JRPG. 

Will you be using DMT for these new quest mods or will it only use Xpath and add new resources?

Archived