Random Gen Worlds: Biome Placement

InvaderJim88

Hi all,

I'm attempting to create a random gen world but after about 10 attempts I keep getting this exact same biome layout, always 70% desert, 25% forest and a small triangle of burned zone. The orientation changes, and different city locations come and go but that's about it. I've changed seeds and game names etc, nothing seems to make a difference. I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I can't work it out. Have been searching through other RWG forum threads about similar world generation but haven't found an answer. Any ideas?

image.thumb.png.f02a7e263083678f614a3caefcfe0961.png 

The Biome "layout" is always the same, just sometimes rotated. It is based on a pre-made biome layout image (not sure the file path); you may be able to alter the biome image (which is in grayscale) to define your own biome layout if you can access the image-mapping-file it is drawn from. In Alpha 18, the seed only changes the rotation and the generated terrain (hills, mountains, rivers, ponds, trees, roads) and the generated POIs/Cities.

OK, I loaded in to the world to have a look and it's different from the generated map I posted. Interestingly enough, in the folder for the world I generated, the biome map png image shows a more diverse biome layout which appears to be what has actually generated within the world, as opposed to what was shown after world generation. spacer.png🤷‍♂️

biomes.png

14 hours ago, InvaderJim88 said:

OK, I loaded in to the world to have a look and it's different from the generated map I posted. Interestingly enough, in the folder for the world I generated, the biome map png image shows a more diverse biome layout

Nevertheless, what Laokia said is true:

14 hours ago, Laokia said:

The Biome "layout" is always the same, just sometimes rotated. It is based on a pre-made biome layout

They're working on a better RWG biome mixer, but for now there is just a pre-defined layout that gets rotated based on seed. Nitrogen (a Java RWG tool - find it here) is much better about biomes and everything else.

On 5/30/2020 at 11:03 AM, Laokia said:

The Biome "layout" is always the same, just sometimes rotated. It is based on a pre-made biome layout 

10 hours ago, Boidster said:

Nevertheless, what Laokia said is true:

They're working on a better RWG biome mixer, but for now there is just a pre-defined layout that gets rotated based on seed.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the clarification. Was a little confusing seeing the preview image at first but now I understand what's happening.

I've started using Nitrogen, very impressed with it. The amount of different options you have when creating a new world is fantastic. Thanks for the input everyone! 😁

Don't fog

59 minutes ago, InvaderJim88 said:

I've started using Nitrogen, very impressed with it. The amount of different options you have when creating a new world is fantastic. Thanks for the input everyone! 😁

Check out the Compopack 43 that goes with it. You want almost 300 new POI's to play with? They're a bit confusing in the directions, but if you follow them, you'll have a whole new world to play with.

Archived