New Guy on the Block

Reeves

Hi guys what a grate game first time playing a survival game really enjoying it.  But thats not why I am posting.  I been playing about 6 weeks now and really be getting in to prefabing.  Think the last time I was this creative was in kindy.  I like to think I have got the basics down using short cuts some commands.  Inserting prefabs in to open world. Adding sleeper voluems and so on.

At this point my ambition has grown to bigger projects and this where I have started running in to problems.  My prefabs have grown to quite large projects.  Im talking 300x300 almost to bed rock and up in to the sky well just a crane high.  What led me to this was at first I was trying to build things modular but I was running in to problems trying to get things to line up.  I have had some major stuff ups like hole mountains braking lol.  I gotto say as frustrating as it can be its sort of cool waching a hole mounting crumble.  I have even had to lern some simple code stuff lucky for me its just been cut and past I meen like I work in the tree industry where would I use any of this stuff in every day life.  I do have a lvl 6 chainsaw in real life.

This about brings you up to date in a nut shell.

Now for my question its very simple its stupid.  I have googled it but I aint seeing it. 

What is the max size of a prefab this build Im working on is 300x 300 and I was not kidding when I say its all most to bed rock.  I am having problems getting to show in random world gen.

If it's a really huge thing, you would probably need a huge empty flat space on the map to put that prefab on too, otherwise you will probably run into some major problems, possibly including things like whole mountains crumbling lol

First of all, welcome to prefabbing!!!  It is super fun/addicting but can also be frustrating at the same time.  Head over into the prefabs sub forums if you havent checked it out yet.

Regarding your question, I dont think there is a specific max dimension that wont absolutely work but the devs have stated they currently dont support really large prefabs.  Hopefully that will change in the future.

Personally, I have had strange spawning issues (missing segments) with the ingame world editor and large prefabs (200x200 ish)

Guess at the end of the day it depends what your goals are and perhaps there is a workaround the many prefabbers on the forums can suggest.

Edit: Regarding RWG, havent messed with large prefabs with it in a long time because of said spawning issues.  Another alternative is using Nitrogen or you might be better off spawning it in a static map like Navesgane or another similar pregenerated map where you can specify the exact location where you want the prefab to be via coordinates.

On 5/2/2020 at 11:14 PM, mr.devolver said:

If it's a really huge thing, you would probably need a huge empty flat space on the map to put that prefab on too, otherwise you will probably run into some major problems, possibly including things like whole mountains crumbling lol

Thanks man

11 hours ago, Laz Man said:

First of all, welcome to prefabbing!!!  It is super fun/addicting but can also be frustrating at the same time.  Head over into the prefabs sub forums if you havent checked it out yet.

Regarding your question, I dont think there is a specific max dimension that wont absolutely work but the devs have stated they currently dont support really large prefabs.  Hopefully that will change in the future.

Personally, I have had strange spawning issues (missing segments) with the ingame world editor and large prefabs (200x200 ish)

Guess at the end of the day it depends what your goals are and perhaps there is a workaround the many prefabbers on the forums can suggest.

Edit: Regarding RWG, havent messed with large prefabs with it in a long time because of said spawning issues.  Another alternative is using Nitrogen or you might be better off spawning it in a static map like Navesgane or another similar pregenerated map where you can specify the exact location where you want the prefab to be via coordinates.

Nitrogen is just what I been looking for.  The secon map I gened was spot on for what I invison. As the prefab editor dose not seem to like what I am trying to do.  Is there a way I can keep opening the same map in the world editor.  What I meen is every time I open the same map it gives me a new version of it can I keep opening the same version so I can work on my prefabs that way ??.  Ow and Laz Man thanks

Archived