Possible Corrupted Save File? NullReferenceException

Rusty Shackleford

I posted this over on the STEAM forums, but wanted to get this on the official forums here as well. I hope I've provided enough information.

Here's the log: https://pastebin.com/dHw8T6PN

Just getting into this game (about 55hrs in) and have been having a blast with my friends (who've been playing for years). We had just finished our third horde night and were going to check out my friends base (in another server). The issues started when trying to reload my game.

At first, I would get a single red error (NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object)

and a few yellow errors in the console when loading (Detail rendering shaders not found for the active render pipeline, falling back to default shader.)

I could still play without issue (as far as I could tell). My buddy however ended up with a scrolling red error in the console and could not move. I tried teleporting him to me but that didn't help.

If it helps, we were playing navezgane map, and had built a base at the Carls Corn / Bobs Boars farm POI. The zombies had torn the house apart, broke our forge and cement mixer, and we were preparing to move elsewhere.

After looking at the logs I saw vehicles.dat referenced, so I went and grabbed our only vehicle (the bike) that my buddy was using at the time we left. I moved it back to our base, and since then I've been getting the same red scrolling console.

NOTE: I've also verified the game files via STEAM. All checked out clean.

Any chance this is salvageable without starting over from scratch with a new save?

Looks like corrupt map data from what I can see. If you delete the region file for that location, it should resolve the issue. Any base in the same region would be removed in the process though.

I do sincerely hope you aren't attempting to host multiplayer with that hardware. It's only just capable of supporting a single-player game.

Awesome! Very much appreciate the tip! If I could get in and empty out the base I'd be fine deleting that chunk. We've already started a new save, so we may not bother but it may be worth a try.

Interesting RE: Hardware -- I'm hosting the game on that machine and running it at 60fps via STEAM remote... seems to perform just fine. I'm kinda surprised you'd see that as an issue since the game has been performing without issue as far as I'm concerned. I do have the resolution dropped down to 1280x720 and most video settings on medium (or even low).

Are you seeing the RAM or the Video Card as the issue? I'd consider upgrading either if it'd be worth it. It is just an HTPC server, so if it's not even worth updating I understand.

Are you seeing the RAM or the Video Card as the issue? I'd consider upgrading either if it'd be worth it. It is just an HTPC server, so if it's not even worth updating I understand.

The 8 Gigs of ram would be a weakness for multiplayer and the 1030 would be a weakness for your own screen resolution/FPS. It would not effect the MP aspect.

I regularly host mustiple players on my machine, which has a i5 3550 so I don't think your CPU is an issue.

The 8 Gigs of ram would be a weakness for multiplayer and the 1030 would be a weakness for your own screen resolution/FPS. It would not effect the MP aspect.

I regularly host mustiple players on my machine, which has a i5 3550 so I don't think your CPU is an issue.

Yep. This is correct. I'm currently on an i7-3930k myself. The RAM and GPU are your shortfalls, and in regards to multiplayer hosting, it's mostly the RAM.

Archived