Some A18 feedback

Ananais

As I have had some time with A18 over the weekend, I thought I would post some feedback on how I have found it so far.

Schematics and books.

Absolutely love the new system. I normally go straight into crafting and mining, but have been trying A18 out as combat/looting only for my skill points, and it works really well with the schematics being loot-able. The new book series are also really nice.

Vehicles

I would suggest that push bikes be made more common place, potentially they could be added as wrench-able items around the world so we could get some frames and handlebars early game. As it is, I have been able to make motorcycles, and buy a 4x4, but not a push bike which is just out classed now, it would be nice if it were more available early game.

The only other specific skill (I have used so far) that I think could use some work is "Rule 1: Cardio". I spent much longer than I normally would without transport in A18, and took this thinking it would help, but it really didn't for the points it took. Comparing it to the health perk I dont think it would be too overpowered to make it a constant regen, and maybe add a few recovery at the higher levels as well as the regen.

Wrench

Not sure if this was intentional or not, but it no longer repairs and upgrades. Occurred to me this may just be to give the claw hammer more of a role, but figure one of you guys will know whether I just missed this being changed or not.

Melee

Really enjoying the new melee, have only used spears and fists so far, but there is something very satisfying about exploding zombie heads with brass knuckles!

I would note that fist wraps were very weak to start, no real difference from bare fists. That said, dont know how much you could improve them without affecting balance.

Spear throwing is fun, locating spear after a miss not so much :)

The increased speed on damaged zombies, I thought I would hate this, but actually I kinda like it now I am used to it.

No tier 6 Crafting & Traders

Not sure how I feel on this one, seems it may undervalue crafting a bit too much not being able to craft tier 6 gear. I was able to buy a Tier 6 M60 far before I could have crafted one, but could very easily not have got lucky.

My main concern is that if I build without perception for Lucky Looter or intelligence for Better Barter & Daring Adventurer, it could prove difficult to find decent gear.

What I would like to see to fix this, would be removing Better Barter & Daring Adventurer, as lets face it, there is still a LOT in Intelligence without them, and add a faction system to the traders with the same bonuses per tier, wont go into detail as that has been discussed on here a number of times, one of my big wants for the game along with NPC's :)

Performance

I cant really comment on performance as I have had to drastically downgrade my GPU between A17 and A18, as I now only have 2GB of VRAM I am using low settings and low res textures; for what its worth, the game has never run smoother, but then it has never had blurry low res textures before either...

Farming

Almost forgot this one, I really like the farming plots and that many recipes have been amended to include animal fat, or something other than just meat and corn. I always use to have a large farm and it really did make food a non-issue, as it is now its easy enough to keep on top of, but you cant just ignore after you find a hoe and have 100's of seeds on hand for easy planting like the old days.

Food Poisoning

So I have had food poisoning 3 times, but all within a few minutes, i.e. got food poisoning, was eating a lot of food to recover stamina and got it again, 3rd try again while trying to recover.

In its self this isn't an issue, but made me wonder if the percentage chance somehow stacks if you eat quickly, as outside of this I haven't had it even if eating a lot but waiting for the heal buff to disappear between foods?

Could also have just been bad luck, but thought it would be worth a mention.

I think those are the main points, overall I love it though, by far my favorite version so far!!

I had the same thoughts about food poisoning. I've already had 3 instances of barfing on 15 grilled meat so far. Each time I was binged a few at a time before it happened. I think this might be intentional, but it may be too early to tell. Vitamins counteract food poisoning/dysentery if you take it before eating/drinking. So lately, if I'm around my base and the hunger dips down a little low, I'll take a vitamin and binge on some cooked food and drink some bottled water. It provides a good use for vitamins.

As I have had some time with A18 over the weekend, I thought I would post some feedback on how I have found it so far.

Schematics and books.

Absolutely love the new system. I normally go straight into crafting and mining, but have been trying A18 out as combat/looting only for my skill points, and it works really well with the schematics being loot-able. The new book series are also really nice.

Vehicles

I would suggest that push bikes be made more common place, potentially they could be added as wrench-able items around the world so we could get some frames and handlebars early game. As it is, I have been able to make motorcycles, and buy a 4x4, but not a push bike which is just out classed now, it would be nice if it were more available early game.

The only other specific skill (I have used so far) that I think could use some work is "Rule 1: Cardio". I spent much longer than I normally would without transport in A18, and took this thinking it would help, but it really didn't for the points it took. Comparing it to the health perk I dont think it would be too overpowered to make it a constant regen, and maybe add a few recovery at the higher levels as well as the regen.

Wrench

Not sure if this was intentional or not, but it no longer repairs and upgrades. Occurred to me this may just be to give the claw hammer more of a role, but figure one of you guys will know whether I just missed this being changed or not.

Melee

Really enjoying the new melee, have only used spears and fists so far, but there is something very satisfying about exploding zombie heads with brass knuckles!

I would note that fist wraps were very weak to start, no real difference from bare fists. That said, dont know how much you could improve them without affecting balance.

Spear throwing is fun, locating spear after a miss not so much :)

The increased speed on damaged zombies, I thought I would hate this, but actually I kinda like it now I am used to it.

No tier 6 Crafting & Traders

Not sure how I feel on this one, seems it may undervalue crafting a bit too much not being able to craft tier 6 gear. I was able to buy a Tier 6 M60 far before I could have crafted one, but could very easily not have got lucky.

My main concern is that if I build without perception for Lucky Looter or intelligence for Better Barter & Daring Adventurer, it could prove difficult to find decent gear.

What I would like to see to fix this, would be removing Better Barter & Daring Adventurer, as lets face it, there is still a LOT in Intelligence without them, and add a faction system to the traders with the same bonuses per tier, wont go into detail as that has been discussed on here a number of times, one of my big wants for the game along with NPC's :)

Performance

I cant really comment on performance as I have had to drastically downgrade my GPU between A17 and A18, as I now only have 2GB of VRAM I am using low settings and low res textures; for what its worth, the game has never run smoother, but then it has never had blurry low res textures before either...

Farming

Almost forgot this one, I really like the farming plots and that many recipes have been amended to include animal fat, or something other than just meat and corn. I always use to have a large farm and it really did make food a non-issue, as it is now its easy enough to keep on top of, but you cant just ignore after you find a hoe and have 100's of seeds on hand for easy planting like the old days.

Food Poisoning

So I have had food poisoning 3 times, but all within a few minutes, i.e. got food poisoning, was eating a lot of food to recover stamina and got it again, 3rd try again while trying to recover.

In its self this isn't an issue, but made me wonder if the percentage chance somehow stacks if you eat quickly, as outside of this I haven't had it even if eating a lot but waiting for the heal buff to disappear between foods?

I think those are the main points, overall I love it though, by far my favorite version so far!!

About performance you may want to wait a bit. I remember when A17 experimental came out it was so poorly optimized, I was barely getting 30 fps at the best, even with low settings, however, with each stable update the game ran better and smoother to the point where A17.4 ran so smooth. Conclusion, just wait a bit for them to release the stable version of A18.

Food Poisoning

Eating 10 grilled meat (or more) to fill up is roughly 40% chance to get food poisoning. If you flipped a coin twice in a row and it landed on the same side both times you wouldn't think it was because of forced mechanics. There is no reason to suspect anything other than you rolling the dice too many times.

Better food matters now. 2 chilidogs is 106 stamina and roughly 8% chance of food poisoning. 10 grilled meat is 100 stamina and roughly 40% chance of food poisoning.

You can also do many things to mitigate food poisoning chance. Eat a vitamin before binging, they are common enough, and you'll eliminate food poisoning chance. Eat normal food to start and then top off with canned food. This ensures that food poisoning can only cost you much lower amounts of fullness if it happens. If you're about to go to a horde night make sure you have some canned food on hand just in case.

Archived