Block shapes

bobrpggamer

Best we have is the icons, but remember a18 is right art the corner and will bring both bigger icons and a shape selection menu.

Yeah that's cool and all but I really hate to start another game so quickly. I could make a guide of my own and model the blocks and render them but that would take quite a while.

I checked the wiki and unfortunately I don't think it would help here. Looks like your options are the in-game crafting menu, blocks.xml, or to make your own reference. Sorry. :(

If you want to post a screenshot, we can recommend how to get a specific result you want.

I did do a little reference thing for myself back in A16: https://i.imgur.com/cfAtyDg.png and used it to create this: https://i.imgur.com/KqpPnfq.png but it was a lot of work and being in the game so long I tend to just experiment. Someday I may make a small PDF with all the block shapes on all six side, well, maybe someday.

Hey guppycur, have you decided to have me open you .max scene and export you models yet? I like to be somewhat useful so if this would help your massively cool mods I am willing to help.

Making those block shapes in the first photo is about as easy for me as to tie my own shoes but making the base was a long project. The blocks are 12x12x12 with some being the odd shapes and what I did was put a transparent bounding box around it so they stack as though they really are 12x12x12 and as you can see the long angled pipe needed 3 bounding boxes. I also added vertex ticks so the vertices are easy to grab and stack.

Other than buying a copy of Unity this is as best as you can do for a visual reference outside of the game. Although if I had the money I would consider buying it. I wonder if you can import 7 Days assets into it without there being some license lock put in.

Yeh I've taken a short break from modding (just a few weeks, and those are nearing an end) but I usually pass on a lot of max only models because I couldn't use them, but when I do another block pack I'll stop passing on them and send them your way. :). Appreciate the offer ... There are a lot of good max blocks.

Does max handle stl files too?

Yeh I've taken a short break from modding (just a few weeks, and those are nearing an end) but I usually pass on a lot of max only models because I couldn't use them, but when I do another block pack I'll stop passing on them and send them your way. :). Appreciate the offer ... There are a lot of good max blocks.

Does max handle stl files too?

Just checked and yes import and export. I never came across a stereolithography stl model to import. I have fiddled around with Solidworks models designing a custom arcade cabinet, and they were hard to import properly.

https://i.imgur.com/Q9LvYAX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/o9J9IkK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Qgte8dI.jpg

Yet another project I never finished.

From the Autodesk website:

An STL file saves object data in a format used for stereolithography.

STL files are generally used for purposes of rapid prototyping. A variety of methods use the STL format to construct prototypes. For example, many STL machines use a liquid polymer and harden it in small slices, creating a solid plastic model. Other STL machines use metal powder to create a model in steel. Still other machines use a special wax.

STL files have a file-name extension of .stl. There is an ASCII STL format as well as a binary STL format. You can choose which to create when you export a 3ds Max scene.

An STL object must define a complete and closed surface. You can check whether the geometry you want to export satisfies this criterion by using the STL Check modifier.

Topics in this section

Import STL File Dialog

Provides options for importing an STL file.

Export STL File Dialog

Provides options for exporting to the STL format. These include the choice of whether to save the STL file as binary or ASCII.

Parent topic: Geometry File Formats

Related Reference

STL Check Modifier

Do you have a 3D printer or something? This seems to be a format for that or maybe a CNC machine. When I have looked for free models online they usually come in .OBJ or .3DS.

A lot of the models I come across are from 3d printing sites, but they're "good enough" for 7days, whereas a lot are... not... =)

I think I have a 2006 Pontiac GTO model in .stl though, or maybe it was .max, I dunno... at any rate, it's the car I drive personally, so I'd like to put it in game. =)

When I get back into the swing of things I'll definitely hit you up.

Are you interested in 7day modding? It's not too terribly hard to bring in your own objects, if it's something you're wanting to learn.

Well when your ready you can PM me or you can PM me and I will give you my email address.

As far as modding, its always the same for me, when I was doing a lot of level editing for Day of Defeat Source, Thief: Deadly Shadows and The Dark Mod (using the Doom 3 engine) I get stuck with coding (AKA scripting like lua or python), plain and simple. I could design an entire level using brushes and adding entities and textures but I always had to ask for help when it came down to scripting. Especially The Dark Mod I do not know how many time I had to ask for help with scripting a simple generator to turn off at a switch or making an entity move with a button and that type of thing. So the best I could do is just help you with your models and possibly texturing them if necessary, although I do appreciate you trying to help me get into it but its not really my thing.

I could design some type of house or similar model if you would like me to do that. I am not sure how prefabs work so I do not know if you model them and import them or if you make them in game.

Archived