Modding on a Mac (trouble with .assets files)

Before anyone says anything about playing games on a Mac, I make it work and I can run most games at "Custom Built" quality. That being said I have recently gotten into modding my 7DTD stuff and I would like to change the names of my items from things like 'resourceCarbon' to 'Carbon' or something like that.

I understand that I need to go into 7DTD in my steam directory and modify the resources.assets file but the UAE is not compatible with Mac so far as I can tell. If I am mistaken on any part of this please just point me in the right direction.

My question is; What can I use to edit the resource.assets file on Mac? Fire FTP seems to be DFTC and I'm willing to try anything.

More specifically, WHY do you need to edit the resources.assets file?

That's for messing with models and textures. Just changing resourceCarbon to Carbon is in the XML (open the 7DaystoDie app, go into Data and config to access that).

My understanding is that resource.assests is where you can change the display names of items added to the game. I want my items to follow the same structure as the base game "resourceCarbon" or "foodHumanliver" in the programming but to show up as Carbon and Human Liver respectively (BTW human liver is just the first thing that came to mind, I don't intend to eat people in my game).

Is this changed in some other location other than resources.assets?

In another post it was said that in the resource.assets file there was a place where you could put it "resourceCarbon" = "Carbon" or something like that. It was on this forum I've just lost it since last reading it.

A) buy a pc.......... just kidding, im a mac user also, was, am, idk by now

B) as a "former" mac modder i can tell you UABE and all those nice tools are restricted to the windows freaks, never found anything that works on mac, though as stedman said you dont need it for that, and you CAN add custom items because you can use blender or any other 3d softw on mac and unity.

resources assets is just to modify or extract existing assets already in the game.

Okay, thanks for the help I finally got it to work and I'm gonna share a tidbit that I leaned along with one final question. When you name your item/block/recipe or whatever you need to follow the correct format: (Key,Source,Context,Changes,English,French,German,Klingon,Spanish,Polish)

This means (codingName,rootDirectory,subRootDirectory,changeName,LanguagesItWillSupport)

i.e. (resourceCarbon,items,item,New,Carbon,idontspeakfrench,german,kilngon,spanish,węgiel) would produce Carbon in English and Węgiel in Polish with no FR, GE, SP, or KL.

The confusing part was finding the "Changes" words to use. If adding a new item with a mod just set that input to "New" the capital is apparently important.

Now for my question: How can I make the Localization.txt in my Mods folder overwrite the one in my game directory automatically (I want to make this mod easily installable in case I want to distribute one day)?

Archived