Been gone for a while - Just wanting to say hello to some of the oldtimers

Epicurius

Hey all. I've been away for some time and with the drop of A17, I thought I would come by and say hello. I see many of you folks are all still active and promoting this awesome game. It really is a testament to all of you guys who have been around for so long continually promoting and helping TFP make a great game. I'm not sure I know of too many game communities that can say this. Oh...And I see that there are still some folks who still gripe and cry over every little change.

Anyways. Loving A17 so far. The Zed pathing AI has literally kicked my butt several times and I am loving it! Finally this game is about survival and not just about building things. I have yet to create a valid role playing base that can't be breached (And I refuse to try to trick the AI). I remember one of my wishes in Pimp Dreams was that the Hawaiian Shirt Dude would be a sort of Juggernaut and explode next to your base causing major structure damage. (I still think this would be cool.)

Regardless, chime in if you remember me. Or don't. I'm just glad to see this forum so active and vibrant.

E

We already have a juggernaut / exploder dude: the cop. I dunno how long you have been gone, and I haven't been around very long myself, so I dunno when the cop was introduced when you played or not.

If I remember correctly, the cop start exploding like in A15 or so. My break was just between A16 now. Thanks for the post.

Ah gotcha. I both dislike and like a lot of the changes from 16 to 17 personally. 16 is when I started playing.

I really miss learn by doing, weapon parts, vehicle part collection, skill magazines personally.

17 is a net positive for me though and I have thoroughly enjoyed many of the additions including

quests, more customization from xml files, more vehicles, weapon addons (some of them are rather cool like being able to make a full auto pistol ... altho it shoots slower than I would expect... a full auto pistol (machine pistol) should be as fast as an smg... exp sharing in group, prefab editor (this is excellent, finally we can save off bases and re-use them).... more I use prefab editor the more I love it. you can make massive sprawling bases FAST with it when you know how it works.

I liked that you could take apart old guns and re-use parts/guns to make better ones.

I can get that you wouldn't like just finding parts, though, but I think there's no reason you can't at least dis-assemble full guns that you can't find and re-use parts that way. I think that would be cool.

Resonance of Fate (on the PS3 I believe?), while granted, pretty much focuses all its combat on gunplay, had some pretty cool firearm modification system going, and everything was very modifiable, much more than it is here. That's the kind of system I would love though. Lots of fun playing with different possibilities there.

I liked that you could take apart old guns and re-use parts/guns to make better ones.

I can get that you wouldn't like just finding parts, though, but I think there's no reason you can't at least dis-assemble full guns that you can't find and re-use parts that way. I think that would be cool.

Resonance of Fate (on the PS3 I believe?), while granted, pretty much focuses all its combat on gunplay, had some pretty cool firearm modification system going, and everything was very modifiable, much more than it is here. That's the kind of system I would love though. Lots of fun playing with different possibilities there.

You can scrap guns now for mechanical parts, and you can craft any gun you want once you have the perks / levels.

The level only impacts the durability and how many mods a gun can have.

The current system is much better for casual and experienced players and gun parts added no real value to the game in my opinion, now you can find a complete gun, use it, and throw a mod onto it to make it better when you find one. Disassemble it when it becomes obsolete and use the parts to make anything you want.

Weapon mods are 1000x better than weapon parts. It was immersion breaking opening a gun chest to find a shotgun stock, hand gun handle, 5 .44 rounds, and a sniper barrel.

I agree 1000% on this one! Love the way I have found these weapons around now. Feels like it should so far.

You can scrap guns now for mechanical parts, and you can craft any gun you want once you have the perks / levels.

The level only impacts the durability and how many mods a gun can have.

The current system is much better for casual and experienced players and gun parts added no real value to the game in my opinion, now you can find a complete gun, use it, and throw a mod onto it to make it better when you find one. Disassemble it when it becomes obsolete and use the parts to make anything you want.

Yeah but just making it straight up feels 1-dimensional to me. And too easy. That's fine overall I guess, but I'd still like the option to also assemble by dissembling old ones. Now finding old guns are useless other than the ammo they contain and a small amount of mechanical parts. To each their own. At least in A16, there was value in finding a crap pistol even if you had a really good one. I think maybe that's what I miss. It is no longer exciting to find new ones. It was always at least somewhat exciting before because you always had a use for one.

Not saying I don't like the new weapon mods (I do), but I dunno why they had to completely remove the old system.

The cop's been an exploder since about A9 or so. In fact, it used to self-destruct when you came within a certain proximity, and not just when sufficiently damaged. Made them easy to deal with in open spaces, but really nasty to run into in buildings.

Anyway, welcome back. I'm a fan of the changes to the zombie AI, but not a fan of the streamlining to progression and the fact that changes to recipes, biomes, and POI make exploring for materials and crafting trivial at all stages of the game.

I really miss learn by doing, weapon parts, vehicle part collection, skill magazines personally.

Agree with every single one.

- - - Updated - - -

Weapon mods are 1000x better than weapon parts.

Not once you have them all x3 and they are now trader fodder. Gun parts went a lot further being valuable.

I want both. Or add quality tiers to mods.

Archived