2 for 1 server

Spiked_Coffee

So I run a Server2016 Poweredge in my house for my 7DTD server. Works great has plenty of resources. My question is getting two instances on 7DTD on 1 server. I used to install via Steam a server tool installed on one SSD "L:" and a traditional 7DTD install on another SSD "c:", configure ports for each server and all was good. I don't know if this is new to A17 but trying to load Alloc's fixes on the traditional install I get an error in logs that it's not a dedicated server despite using startdedicated and such like I used to. I didn't see an option via Steam to install the server tool in 2 locations, but only to move the installation to a new location. I wound up copying the "common" folder and files from the Steam server "L:" SSD to the other SSD "C:" and things seem to be working well however the C drive instance won't auto update as it's not listed in Steam client as an install location.

Have I overcomplicated the snot out of things, or is that the best way to get two servers on one machine? I've toyed with VM but really don't want to buy another OS License.

TIA

On Windows, you would start the second server similar to how you started the first, except have the batch file point to a different config file, and have the config file set for a different save path.

Alternatively, you can just copy the dedicated server folder. This makes it easy to run multiple instances with different mods.

Personally though, I prefer using Linux and Allocs Scripts for running multiple instances. I have 4 running on my Poweredge right now, and there's room for a couple more.

More detailed information on your configuration would be needed to assist further.

Thanks, I've essentially copied the dedi folder over and will just keep using that. The first option would work great except that I do want to play with mods and such on one without affecting the other, so I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

My first server I used ubuntu and it ran like a boss with limited resources (an old laptop) so if anyone else reads this I do recommend Linux but for me I do like my Windows server because it's also my video server, NAS, and YouTube uploader.

Thanks SylenThunder!

Archived