• Editing serverconfig.xml does not change new game settings

shadedmj
    • Version: A21 b324

I used to be able to make changes to default new game settings by changing serverconfig.xml, but changing that file no longer changes game settings.

Example: Changing "ServerVisibility" to 0 should be "not listed", but starting a new game has "Server Visibility" to "Public".

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There should be a red banner telling you how to report bugs. Most important detail is that a logfile is needed and how to post that.

And the most likely thing that happened is that you changed the wrong serverconfig.xml or used the wrong syntax in it. Which could be easily checked by looking into the logfile, just saying

34 minutes ago, meganoth said:

... logfile is needed ...

I have never had a crash and game runs normally.  I cannot include a error or crash log because there is no log file at the location stated.

If you start the server with the script that is included, a logfile will be automatically generated. This is highly recommended.

If you call 7DaysToDieServer.exe aka the game program directly, then simply add "-logfile output.log" to the calling line and there will be a logfile called "output.log" generated, probably in the directory you are at when starting the game or in the program folder of the game

Am probably an idiot for asking but Op keeps saying the game...

We are talking about a proper server right, not a hosted game as from what I recall the serverconfig.xml file doesn't change your game settings.

Disregard if I am talking out my butt.

I should have boldly stated this is a solo game, I was trying to say that in the beginning trying to set my game to "not listed".  I used to be able to edit the serverconfig.xml to change new solo games.

If serverconfig.xml only changes server games, then that is fine, but how can I make consistent changes to solo games then?

2 hours ago, Gamida said:

When you start up your game, in the General tab under Server Visability you should be able to set it to Not Listed..

That has nothing to do with the topic at all.  I want my solo games to automatically start as Not Listed.

Example: Changing "ServerVisibility" to 0 should be "not listed", but starting a new game has "Server Visibility" to "Public".

9 hours ago, shadedmj said:

That has nothing to do with the topic at all.  I want my solo games to automatically start as Not Listed.

Someone else will have to chime in on this one as you totally have me confused now.

As I stated from what I know changing the serverconfig.xml file has no effect on solo games. You can just change what is in those menus. Or use mods.

Good luck, hope you get your answer.

serverconfig.xml is only for dedicated servers. Local or Rented. Solo or P2P games will use the save game data.

I think @shadedmj is saying he wants the setting to not change for new games.

There was a change in A21 that resets the new game settings to default every time. There was a reason, but I'm not recalling why. Will ask around.

12 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

serverconfig.xml is only for dedicated servers. Local or Rented. Solo or P2P games will use the save game data.

There was a change in A21 that resets the new game settings to default every time. There was a reason, but I'm not recalling why. Will ask around.

In that case the request would be reasonable to change the default of ServerVisibility to private.

Before setting up a new game, press F1 on the menu screen and use the following command.

sg NewGameSetDefaults false

This will turn off the new game settings reverting to default every time.

Available in A21 B324 and A21.1 B6

NOTE: The New Game settings WILL change if you select an older game on the Continue Game screen that has different settings.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:02 PM, schwanz9000 said:

What I got out of their original post was they wanted to be able to edit the serverconfig.xml file and have it make changes in their solo game.

That is what confused me.

They said they wanted their solo game to start as not listed. I made my post with a pic of where to start a game so it is not listed and got this response

On 7/18/2023 at 11:36 PM, shadedmj said:

I am thinking it is because of language differences that we are getting our wires crossed.

This is now closed for further comments