Clear and Fetch Quests in every appropriate building

Tristam

I don't enjoy going back and forth between traders with each quest. I'd rather clear a town and reap my rewards all at once. Please make it so that each building that can qualify for clear quests or fetch quests will always have the ability to BE cleared or searched.

I imagine the easiest way would be to have quest markers outside each one, but alternatively there could be notes in the last chest that always drops and can be turned in. That, or increase the number of quests you can take from the same trader, though that isn't ideal since they send you off in random directions.

Please and thank you.

That might not be too hard.

I was talking to prime about that and the use of quest phases, but he said the issue is that the quest might send you back to the building you just cleared.

So I think someone wanting to do this would basically have to chain clear/fetch one after another and hope it picks different buildings. Would definitely need some testing.

Then what about more long term quests? Something like "Kill 1000 zombies" or so? That way, as you do the regular quests, you can have an overarcing goal to drive towards? Anything that keeps players from having to CONSTANTLY go back and forth would be amazing.

Plus, we already have quests that send me to the same place. All that does is reset the building for you. So I assume you mean it'd be hard to guarantee a quest at each building because even if you made 100, they could hypothetically all wind up on the same building?

Would it be possible to make it so that quest traders always give you a certain quest

Make that quest ALWAYS assign you to the nearest location

Make the trader look like...idk... a doorbell?

And put doorbells on each POI to start the quest there?

Then what about more long term quests? Something like "Kill 1000 zombies" or so? That way, as you do the regular quests, you can have an overarcing goal to drive towards? Anything that keeps players from having to CONSTANTLY go back and forth would be amazing.

You can totally do that. I asked him how many "phases" we can have in a quest (think the starting quest where it says gather X plant fibers and then changes to craft a bedroll... that's 2 phases) and was told 256 is the max.

Plus, we already have quests that send me to the same place. All that does is reset the building for you. So I assume you mean it'd be hard to guarantee a quest at each building because even if you made 100, they could hypothetically all wind up on the same building?

Exactly. The way it was explained to me is the quest often picks whatever is the closest prefab for that quest type (controlled by XML within the prefab).

Would it be possible to make it so that quest traders always give you a certain quest

Make that quest ALWAYS assign you to the nearest location

Make the trader look like...idk... a doorbell?

And put doorbells on each POI to start the quest there?

I'll answer these ones in order. :)

1) Yep. You can specify exactly what quests a trader has.

2) It already does. If you pick a "clear" quest, it picks whatever POI is the closest where it's flagged as being acceptable for a clear quest within the XML. Same for Fetch quests.

3) You can totally do that. The vending machines are just traders. Might be a little complicated to set up the XML so the doorbell would give you a quest, but you can do it.

4) That's gonna be a LOT of prefab editing, but it SHOULD be possible, yes. You just need the model, export it as a block and then set it up as a trader. Entirely possible, just takes time. :)

Thanks for answering thse for me. It sounds like I'm going to have to volunter my services when this game hits stable too make that hapen. Wouldn't suck to make a prof of concept beforehand, or to get TFP behind me on this, either. I feel like this is a sort of QOL change most people could get behind. Especialy if you take time to iron it out and balance things, like making the doorbell only work once every 30 days or so, and never on places that hand Land Claim Blocks inside.

Well you can just NOT give the doorbell a recipe so players can't make it. Don't add it to loot lists or trader inventory so it can't be bought, then manually edit prefabs to add it in. :)

Don't need to worry about land claim blocks then. I have looked at the dialogue XML (where it defines what traders say) and it looks fairly straightforward. I suggest having a look at it, specifically the test trader as that shows how you can easily define what quests they have.

Quests XML has the quest list in it.

I was more concerned about players taking over POI as their bases and then some griefer comes along and hits their doorbell. The thought occurred to me while talking with my gf the other day about what would happen if you established a base inside a POI and then someone did a quest for it.

Doesn't seem hard to do at all. I think I just need a good weekend, maybe someone to point me in the right direction, and (maybe) a stable game to apply it to.

Archived