fps drops in A17 b208 , 4K 1080Ti

FARQuNer

Hi im playing 7 days 4 Die since A16 come out , have the game since 2014

now im playingA17 208b in 4K

but my fps drops at blocks wood1/painted , brick blocks

in house at Navezgame (Cordinates -242 68 467)

Some Block / Painted Textures make my fps drop

i this house i have more fps with Concrete block or wood block(2)

but if this house has Brick blocks , painted wood(1) then fps drops

Version:

Platform: PC

OS/Version: Windows

Game mode, sp - NAV

Did you wipe old saves? yes

Did you start a new game? Yes

Did you validate your files? Yes

Are you using any mods? No

EAC - on

My PC :

Intel i7 4790k + Corsair IO

DDR3 Kingstone 2400 32GB

1TB SSD WD Black MVMe

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 Hybryd

I made some screenshots from the game in 4K :

1 - Standard wood1 block with paint - 31 fps

2 - upgraded wood2 block - 80fps

e31.jpg

e80.jpg

more screenshots (22) 4K :

http://www.dzds.pl/a17-208/fps-drops-a208-jpg.rar

Ok, a couple of things.

1. You're playing an un-optimized alpha game that isn't designed for 4k.

2. You're playing an experimental version of an un-optimized alpha that not only hasn't been optimized, but has had features gimped down to make it playable.

3. This is a voxel game. It doesn't care that you have a 1080 Ti. It does care about CPU speed, RAM speed, HDD access rates, and bus bandwidth. More details on this are available here, and here.

One of the known fixes for those having issues with FPS drops at 1080p is to reduce the resolution to 720p.

In that second link you can see my system specs, and playing normally on my servers, I usually average between 60 and 75FPS. I'll take a gander at your test above with the wood and see what happens.

Sigh. It didn't take the FPS in my screenshots like it usually does.

My findings though.

First picture with 1080p I got about 47 FPS on average. It was jumping around quite a bit from 42 to 50 though. It was raining outside. Not sure if that makes much of a difference with occlusion though.

First picture with 720P I got 108FPS pretty damn steady.

Second picture with 1080p I had some crazy fluctuations. It started at around 75FPS, but after settling a moment was at 111FPS.

Second picture with 720p had zero change in FPS. It held pretty steady at 111.

So yep, there is a difference. Some things to consider though.

In the first picture, it's drawing 7 different textures.

In the second picture, it's only drawing 3.

Knowing the nature of the 3D voxels, that makes perfect sense.

In the first picture, it's drawing 7 different textures.

In the second picture, it's only drawing 3.

Knowing the nature of the 3D voxels, that makes perfect sense.

Except you need to keep in mind its in a texture array now. So regardless if its 7 or 3, its still a single material/draw call (per array - 3 arrays in a set [a/n/s]).

Before (A16) it was atlases, one for albedo, one for metallic with rough in the alpha, one for occlusion, so there is 4 mats, for all the textures in the atlas.

The max size in the atlas was 1K, with the majority of textures being 512 or 256, the smallest was 128.

The array dictates all maps must be equal, so all the block textures are now 1K.

We gained some in terms of batching, but then seemingly lost it again with the streaming. Could be a bus issue being saturated. A number of other things changed from A16 but its too early to tell in experi if they contribute or not.

Been having some issues over the last week or so with performance myself. Even before that (still in A17) it seemed it was performing better than it is now. I'm playing on a 1440p display, but even switching to 1080p doesn't seem to do much. Usually cranking down shadows and view distance help tremendously with framerates, but such is not the case here. Changing view distance from high to low actually dropped my framerate more! Hopefully it's just a matter of needing some optimization and it'll be back to solid.

8600k, 1080, 16gb @3200mhz

I don't know why I didn't think to try this before my last post, but:

My server is hosted from home. The host machine has a ryzen 5 1600, 16gb 2400mhz. I had tinkered around with an overclock on it last week. Had a revelation. Went and set everything back to default, and OC'd the ram up to 2667 and it helped my framerate and playability immensely.

I know you said yours is single player, but it's something worth considering.

Archived