New PC Player. Looking For Info On Desktop Computers.

SethPace8

Hi everyone. I want to start out by saying that I am currently a console player, and that I love 7D2D. I bought the game when it first released on PS4, and have played it extensively. Though, through time, I've had a growing lack of desire to play it on console from various reasons, such as: performance, features, etc. But a big reason I have shyed away from console is because I have recently been researching the pc side of 7D2D, and I really would like to transition to the playing on pc. I'm looking for help on purchasing a desktop computer that can at least handle 7D2D quite well. I'm willing to spend around $1,000 for one, and would like to buy a pre-built one. I've researched some. I'm wondering if these ones would perform well for 7D2D: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktops/gaming-desktop-intel/spd/inspiron-5680-gaming-desktop Any other info for a hopeful new 7D2D pc player would be welcome. I hope I'm understandable, and that I'm posting this in the right area. Thank you, pc players.

Pre-builds are such a waste of money. With that said, the link you provided (didn't work, but I was able to dissect it and get to the location you wanted us to see), Dell (and every other prebuild manufacturer) always try to hide the details of what's inside which is so annoying, but they do it to hide the crap they stick inside of them. Graphics card for instance... notice how much effort is required just to know it's a GTX 1060 3gb version. And it doesn't take a genius to know the PSU and motherboard will be absolute trash as they always are in pre-built machines. For $1000, you could get so much better, and from much more respectable manufacturers with far better warranty. With Dell (and other prebuilt manufacturers), you'd be lucky to get a year of very limited warranty.

With that said, I can't really help you with this as for me, it's like recommending something based on random guessing which is something I just don't do.

Let's say you want to build this system...

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/inspiron-gaming-desktop/spd/inspiron-5680-gaming-desktop/ddcwblsk106h

Here's the basic specs you get for $1250.00

Win 10 Home

Stock case

Intel® Core™ i7 8700 with stock cooler

Dell Generic motherboard that will not allow much expansion.

16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz

128GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA

GTX 1060 3GB

460W PSU

So basically, a decent CPU on a gimped motherboard. RAM is fine, GPU is the lowest OK card to go with. To top it all off, it's got a PSU that won't support future expansion, and probably is only Bronze certified. I can hope that they've improved their case design in regards to airflow and cooling, but not going to hold my breath.

So I went and built the same system with good parts, and it's $1323

Win 10

Intel® Core™ i7 8700 with Hyper 212 Evo cooler

Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX motherboard

16GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA

GTX 1060 6GB OC'ed

650W Gold PSU

So sure, my build is a little bit more expensive. BUT, my build will last longer, allows greater future expansion, is easily overclocked, and it will probably run about 20% faster than the Dell. No to mention that all of the parts are going to be top-tier. Dell just goes with whatever they can buy in bulk cheapest.

Here's the parts list.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sLsksZ

Thanks for the input, guys. So, can you briefly generalize what parts are most important, and what quality is recommended for supporting 7D2D? To my understanding, the processor and ram are pretty important for overall performance? And if I was to take your custom build (or a different custom build) how does that process work? When I buy the parts, how does it go from there to becoming a whole unit to where I pick it up/delivery? Sorry, I'm just new to the whole process, haha.

Thanks for the input, guys. So, can you briefly generalize what parts are most important, and what quality is recommended for supporting 7D2D? To my understanding, the processor and ram are pretty important for overall performance? And if I was to take your custom build (or a different custom build) how does that process work? When I buy the parts, how does it go from there to becoming a whole unit to where I pick it up/delivery? Sorry, I'm just new to the whole process, haha.

If you've never bought things online... then you might have a whole lot of researching to do before jumping into that world of fun. If you pay someone to build the computer for you, then it might be just as expensive as buying a pre-built system... do you not have a friend or family member with knowledge in building computers?

And the goal should be to get a nice balanced system, not focus on just getting stuff specifically for 1 game, as that's a lot of money to spend for just 1 game.

Also, plz go to this topic to see just how bad pre-built PC manufacturers are with their customers: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?98253-To-anyone-interested-in-buying-a-Pre-Built-PC-watch-this-video

Archived