Couple of modding questions need some help with

2Dark

Hey guys

Firstly I'd like to thank all the modders and prefab builder in this section. You guys are doing an amazing job at giving server admins the opportunity to offer something different.

I currently have aroun 6-7 custom prefabs on our server. Obvioulsy right now, they do not show up on the map and so look as though they may be someones base. Does anyone know of a way to edit the map used in the game to add such new prefabs, resave and make it usable to those who play on our server.

My Second question relates to iron scrap. Does anyone know a way to make items such as filing cabinets and lockers scrappable?

Much appreciation once again to all of you here and for any answers that this post may receive.

As of right now the map is only moddable on client side. Short answer is 'no'.

To make things scrap-able, just open the recipes.xml and find the item you want to be able to scrap and change the value to true. Not sure exactly what value it is, as I'm posting from my phone, but it's pretty obvious once you open the xml. Then just upload to your server and restart it.

As of right now the map is only moddable on client side. Short answer is 'no'.

Ah yes I knew this would be the case, however if there was a way I could edit the map locally on my machine and then offer the file required for my players to use on their machines for download, this would be helpful to them.

To make things scrap-able, just open the recipes.xml and find the item you want to be able to scrap and change the value to true. Not sure exactly what value it is, as I'm posting from my phone, but it's pretty obvious once you open the xml. Then just upload to your server and restart it.

I'm afraid this does not work at all. I have implimented ways for players to craft filing cabinets and other items made of metal used for storage / costmetics and have tried setting scrappable to True, but it doesn't work.

Thanks for your response though, appreciated.

In the models_2 file there is where you will find this text. This is how you make items drop stuff upon destruction.

<block id="1143" class="Loot" shape="ModelEntity" material="metal" >

<property name="LootList" value="44" />

<property name="Model" value="Entities/LootContainers/file_cabinetPrefab" />

<texture id="282" instance="0" name="fileCabinet" />

<property name="Group" value="Furniture/Decor" />

</block>

<drop event="Destroy" name="scrapMetal" count="3-5" prob="1" /> You Need To Add This Line

</block>

Then save the file and import it back into the resources.assets file.

This link will help you learn the basics with Grims Unity Asset Editor

http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?8093-HOW-TO-Add-modify-the-ore-in-your-game-world

As for the Map issue this link should help. Read post #463. You will need Hal's Prefab Editor.

http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?7564-Hal-s-Prefab-Editor/page31

If setting the value of scrap-able to true doesn't work, just create a new recipe for scrap metal by placing a filing cabinet in the center and the output to the desired amount of scrap metal, or you could follow sho'nuffs instructions to edit the asset file.

In the models_2 file there is where you will find this text. This is how you make items drop stuff upon destruction.

</block>

<drop event="Destroy" name="scrapMetal" count="3-5" prob="1" /> You Need To Add This Line

</block>

Then save the file and import it back into the resources.assets file.

This link will help you learn the basics with Grims Unity Asset Editor

Yeah this drops stuff on destruction which is not really what I was looking for. I was hoping to be able to allow players to scrap such items they have already picked up or crafted. If this is the only way to allow it then so be it. I did look through the other text files within UAE but could not find anything to do with scrapping. I did see some odd files to do with scrapIron, but unreadable / uneditable.

Appreciate your time in responding anyway :)

As for the Map issue this link should help. Read post #463. You will need Hal's Prefab Editor.

http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?7564-Hal-s-Prefab-Editor/page31

You can add prefabs to a map pretty much the same way I added labels, and regions to the maps. Extract the DDS file with UAE, make your edit with a DDS image editor, and import it back in.

Thanks for your help. I managed to get as far as saving the map as a dds file. Opened up UAE and could not figure out where to import this map to. I see a couple of entries called map, however when I click on those UAE just crashes on me. So any extra info would be good on what to do next.

If setting the value of scrap-able to true doesn't work, just create a new recipe for scrap metal by placing a filing cabinet in the center and the output to the desired amount of scrap metal, or you could follow sho'nuffs instructions to edit the asset file.

Unfortunately this does not work as it inteferes with the overall scrapping of everything else. In addition if I create a new recipe for scrapIron with a filing cabinet in the middle block, when you click on scrapIron (under scrap and repair menu in inventory) a filing cabinet shows up in the middle block (expected). Putting a filing cabinet in the middle block doesnt do anything and as I say it seems to screw up the whole scrapping for everything else. Thanks for the suggestion though.

There is no easy way to scrap these items for scrapMetal as I believe they are hard coded into a list of items that can be scrapped. Check the recipe.xml file for scrap metal and you will see the Wildcard entry.

You can make it scrapable in the recipe.xml, however it will only give you one item of the recipe ingredients like breaking down a bullet for a tip.

The best way is to just place it and destroy that item and collect the scrap metal.

As far as the map... in the resource.assets file you will find two map entries. One is the game map. With the plug-in button pressed at the bottom. click on the map name and you should see the map image in the right hand side. if it isn't the map your looking for click on the other map entry. Right click on the name to export or import the map into dds format. Then save as after importing. Keep the original map.dds file. you may need to re-import the original if something goes wrong. when you are viewing the map, not the info above the image in the info bar. it will tell you the format of the image and if mipmaps are used.

Archived